I Need help whether to by '82 M.B. 300SD

Page 2 of 2
That suspension problem is typical and common to that age. The problem is caused by two pair of parts... One is the thrust arm bushings... which is a
rod that goes back to subframe... that bushing on that subframe is worn out... that is the thudding sound when you step on brake and steep driveway thing. The thing about this is that they usually wear out at about 130,000 miles... not 90 unless it is all city driving.
The other is front brake rotors are warped causing the shakes. Easy fix. Another sign of city driviing only.
One other possibility is thumping noise when you go over railroad track or pothole... that would be upper control arms... The ball joint on this wear out and you just replace whole arm. This also affects the steering too... and from the sound of what you said... it is also probably majority city driving.
I would say even with these mileage, you are looking at possibly replacing water pump soon... might as well do all 4 brakes, entire steering (not that much money), and what not due to age... is probably not worth the money they asked... Will probably be money pit to you as us all who doesn't have unlimited capital.
All in the end, the price is too high with these problems... and being a city driven car, I would say it is okay on engine... but hard on other parts as indicated above. Keep looking and look for the right car. Don't be afraid of high mileage... even with high mileage, chances are alot of common wear items has been replaced.
At this age the entire front and rear suspensions need to be rebuilt. It'll probably need new calipers too.
25 year old rubber is nobody's friend. But it'll ride like a new car wen it's done. BTDT.
On Mar 1, 2:28 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I purchased an 82 300SD for $7K, with 100k miles on it. I is/was in mint condition. Every service record and orig window sticker, bill of sale ($38k back in 82). It is a super nice car. It is made so damn well, solid, and comfortable. I could not think of a better car for 5X the price. The turbo engine may not have as much power as my C5, but it is a rocket compared to my other favorite, my 240D. These cars are easy to maintain, and this group is a great resource.

Yeah, that's how this car is! it has the original Deimler-Benz signiture sticker on the lower passenger side, everything in it's place! I have a 87 Toyota Camry with nearly 200k on it that I love, it is a great commuter car, but I can't stop thinking that this Benz is a really beautiful car.
Oh the conflict &@!*#! P~
.... no matter what you buy, there will be an element of a gamble. bottom line 'to me' would be is the seller believable. Does he/she come across as trustworthy... do all his reasons for selling add up, etc. If yes, I'd go for it. Those are great cars... I sold similar to a cabbie at 250k km who turned around and put another similar milage on motor.... floors were rusted out though... make absolutely sure there is no rust.... all else is fixable for reasonable time'money
cheers, guenteer

I swear the top of this thread could say nothing but "overpriced", "too much" and about all the possible problems, Now that I decided to not get it, mind you not solely based on this groups input, but now I feel like I may have passed on a great car!? You know if I wasn't already bald I'd pull my hair out... LOL :)
P~
If your wife like this 300SD - we already know that you do - talk to the seller and offer to split the cost of a professional inspection of the front end - ball joints, tie rods, control arm bushings brake rotors wheel bearings, stabilizer bar bushings etc to factually know what's what. THEN, you'll KNOW whether to buy or not and with no regrets either way. But remember, SHE has to like it or there's no point to the exercise.
permission.
On Mar 7, 3:40 pm, "-->> T.G. Lambach <<--" <"T.G. Lambach at NoHamorSpamcomcast.net"> wrote:

Interesting idea, if you can get the seller to agree to it. For the seller, it's a bad idea to pay for and get involved in an inspection. As the car is, the seller can say that it's been maintained and is in excellent condition. That's accepted as reasonable, because the owner is not a mechanic or expert. Once you have an inspection done, you now have direct knowledge of everything that's wrong with it. And if you don't tell a buyer all that's found wrong with it, you have both an ethical and potential legal problem.