Identify your Mercedes

This link of MB Russia accepts the VIN of your MB.

It will then tell you when/where it was first bought, extras, etc.

Enjoy.

WÇY

WÇY

Mark

Hey Mark, look on the bright side though... some Russian site may now have at least one more valid VIN it can counterfeit! :o)

If you'd like to try this with a somewhat less exotic URL, you might want to visit the free Carfax site:

Paul

PS: If a vehicle were previously owned though, the best time to check its history might be prior to its purchase... Yes/No? (just a radical thought here).

---

---

Reply to
Paul Hyndman

I searched for 3 SEC VINs from eBay auctions, and all 3 were not found on the Russian site.

By the way, anything useful from carfax.com is not free.

Reply to
Mr. DOS

Many of the worthwhile things in life aren't! :o)

But they will (for free) tell you if any "records" exist for said VIN in their database. "Records" are defined by them as significant events in the vehicle's past, IE:

"Was the car in a reported accident? Does this car have open recalls? Has the mileage been tampered with? Was this car labeled a lemon? How many owners drove this car? ... etc."

If there are records and you'd like to have a peak at 'em, then by all means pay the piper!

If one is about to perhaps spend many thousands of dollars on a used vehicle, is the modest Carfax fee not worth it?

Paul

---

---

Reply to
Paul Hyndman

I've received CARFAX reports on previous vehicles I was researching, and not all "Records" were as significant as "Was the car in a reported accident" or "Was this car labeled a lemon." I guess no news is good news, but I feel like a list like these 6 records (from an actual CARFAX reort) is only good to see the mileage history:

02/24/1994 Colorado Title or registration issued 02/24/1994 Colorado Title or registration issued 02/26/1995 18,314 Colorado Passed emissions inspection 01/31/1996 Colorado Title or registration issued 01/31/1996 26,767 Colorado Passed emissions inspection 05/12/1998 44,136 Colorado Passed emissions inspection

So in other words, if you use the free part of carfax, you cannot know what those 6 records say, so it is (IMO) not very useful. Notice how the first two records are dups.

Absolutely, I agree with you here!

Reply to
Mr. DOS

To use the Russia sight to find out about a USA car the SN must be modified as follows. Use the first 3 letters from the SN Replace the next 6 digits with the chassis no. of your car, for instance on my 91 300d that would be 123128. The next no. is replaced by a 1. Then the last 7 digits of the SN of your car. For instance, for my car I would enter: WDB1231281XXXXXXX. (I don't have my SN in front of me, so I don't have the last 7 digits). Just make sure there are 17 digits in all. I have used this method on my 91 300D and my 84

500SEL and both worked.

Paul McKechnie

WÇY wrote:

Reply to
Paul

instance on

Reply to
Mr. DOS

Is there such a site in the US that does our Numbers? I know that some data can be gotten from the Dealer and that there is CARFAX with its data.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Pelka