idle still screwed...'81 380 SEL

Good day all. You last heard from me a couple of months ago whaen I asked about a strange fluctuation of idle speeds. I took the advice I was given and found myself
a new electronic idle speed control unit. Unfortunately, that did not seem to remedy my problem. Was there a special way of putting this peice in? Should I have disconnected my negative battery terminal prior to installing the new unit? Also I have been reading about another possible culprit - an idle speed adjuster? Where is this, and how does it adjust? I have purchased a manual, but the pictures leave a lot to be desired, and me not being a mechanic, I need a pretty clear picture painted for me. I appreciate any feedback from anyone. Thanks

Where did you buy the control unit from? Is it used? Rebuilt? New?
The idle speed control valve is located on top of engine in the front... look like a round tube with a right angle hose connection on one end and electrical connection in the front. I have a new one if you need one... make me an offer.
Hey Tiger...thanks for getting back to me. I figured it may be one of the original guys that would. Anyways, I purchased the REBUILT unit through "shocks and springs" on ebay for about $100. I did disconnect my negative terminal before connecting the new one - but not for any real lenth of time. I don't know if the "computer" needs to reset itself or what...as far as the idle control valve, I am pretty sure I know what you are talking about...it has a vacuum hose on it and two electrical connections on the face?? How do I tell if mine is shot? Because here's another kick in my junk...the car has been running at proper idle since lunchtime today! I have no idea...
Tiger wrote:

You can tell if that valve is good or bad by unplugging it while your engine is running... if engine speed go higher, then it seems to be okay. If not, then it is not working. Rarely, you need to replace this.
As for your rebuilt unit... It is questionable whether it is actually rebuilt or not... Contact the seller and ask for another unit... exchange the one he sent you.