If not Mercedes - then who?

Hey all, First, I do not own a Mercedes (just a bit above my financial station), but I do Covet a Mercedes. As I've been in this group, there's been a lot of talk that Mercedes just isn't the car it was "before the round headlights". Now, they're just like the others, and can point to the JD Power information for backup. There are those unhappy with the warranty problems - the costs - the simple fact that Mercedes are so complex and electronically driven that they cannot possibly hold up for the 20 or 30 years that some of the old ones could.

My question is this: IF you feel this way towards Mercedes and you were looking to replace your old MB... WHAT brand WOULD you look at that would be durable, reliable, solid, etc. Would you switch to an Audi, or consider a Lexus?

Just curious what others opinions would be that if Mercedes isn't Mercedes anymore - what brand IS??

Please, positive posts only - no flame wars. Jon

Reply to
Jon Patrick

I had MBs in the 60s and 70s which performed well for a decade with only normal maintenance and unsurprising repairs. More recently, we have never really worried about longevity since we've been leasing our cars (2002 C320 SportWagon at present), keeping them no longer than the full warranty and replacing them every 3-4 years.

Now that I am considering retiring, I am also considering buying a a car for the (relatively) long term. The complexity issue exists not only with MB but with all brands and I cannot believe that any brand will endure as unfailingly as the older and simpler vehicles.

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

I would consider an Audi-Asian cars are not my forte'.

Reply to
NMCN

Jon,

I think people's attitude's are also changing in that these days cars are more expendable, i.e. keep them for just a few years, then move on to the next new one.

So my point is that once upon a time, when perhaps one would have bought a car for 'life', or at least for a decade (looking at values like those you mention), nowadays cars are bought like fashion accessories, handbags, watches if you like and the styling is there as proof (along with the gimmicks/fads - some of which *are* good).

Over here, in Europe that is certainly my experience - and in a way it's quite refreshing.

Question is, do you *really* want to buy your 'last' car ??

To answer your question directly I think is *so* difficult I'm not sure who does 'dependable, reliable, solid' anymore.

Once upon a time, I would never have considered a japanese car and to date my stomach still churns at the thought ! But as my needs become more defined (i.e. reliable), I feel myself being drawn closer and closer to those makes called Toyota & Honda !

Good luck !!

Reply to
Tosher

Not necessarily. What's your price range? There are some fine older Mercedes around, and many of them are built even stronger than later models.

2002 Audi S-8 to replace my 99 S420 Mercedes, except I don't want to spend the money.

Audi has been coming on strong. All of the quality, plus all wheel drive. Plus, not everyone thinks that Mercedes has seen its day in the sun. I don't have many miles on mine (59,000) but so far it seems like a very good car, so long as you have something a bit more fun to drive when the curves start calling to you.

Larry

99 S420 96 Dodge Viper RT/10
Reply to
REInvestments

Have you considered going back to a model of vehicle that you liked in the

60s or 70s and having it completely re-done? I've been thinking that something like a 68 GT0 convertible, completely re-stored, would still cost less than a new E Class, and would seat five comfortably, and be very simple to own an maintain. I think there are disk brake upgrades, and so on. What do you think of that kind of idea?

Larry

99 S420 96 Dodge Viper
Reply to
REInvestments

All new cars are too high tech for the DIY owner and this technology is advancing its pace rather than plateauing. So to be in the swim one must buy new every five to seven years. Then it's just a matter of $$ - luxury car at say seven years or volume car at four or five years. There's no escape.

I've owned a '80 300SD since new; it's in great condition with 107K miles and drives nearly like it did in '80. But we're no longer living in a 55 mph world and as nice as the old SD is, it's not up to the ease of driving that our '97 E320 delivers. It's rack and pinion steering is more precise and its 3.2L gas engine has far more power than the old diesel yet delivers the same freeway mileage. So the old car is now our local errand car and it's fine for that and the new one is the trip car.

As the '97 is now 7 model years old I've been considering new models. Jaguar XJ8, Lexus LS430 and M-B S430 or E320. Each has its points but NONE are investment cars due to their high technological obsolesce, notwithstanding their premium prices. And I'm under no illusion that the M-B or Jaguar are on the same reliability level as the Lexus so part of the "cost" of Jaguar and M-B is the inevitable trips to the dealer for warranty repairs - just to drive a new car! Ironic isn't it? But the ugly style of the Lexus nearly puts it out of contention for me.

So you see that you're not the only one who ponders the question of what to buy.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Nope.

While I understand the idea, I am not willing to be so involved in the restoration and maintenance, just what I am trying to avoid. Money is only part of it; less bother is important, too. The answer may lie in cheaper, more disposable and less entertaining cars. Sigh.

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

In case you havent noticed, this group is for 300D owners and the "rest of us". Everything made in 1979 is sacred.

Reply to
Miro

Go drive a new Mercedes, and then go drive something from the Japanese brands...if you can't feel the difference, then buy a Nissan.

Reply to
Paddington

Then he should end up buying a Nissan then :)

Sorry, couldn't resist that.

Reply to
Tosher

Like it or not, Toyota and Honda build good cars. I know plenty of once-diehard Euro-car fans who have to admit that the Japanese cars are not only better values for the money, but in many ways built better.

Reply to
Stan de SD

T.G.

I don't think anyone could have put it better then you just have here.

I bow to you !

Reply to
Tosher

"REInvestments" wrote in news:Wdt2c.160680$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Are you saying that your S-Class doesn't handle?

Reply to
George Mann

Correct. It handles just like a 4700 lb V-8 can be expected to handle, which is to say, not like a sports car. It is fine for daily driving, but heavy on curves.

Reply to
REInvestments