ignition lock cylinder 1980 450sl

need to remove cylinder from dash. anyone know how?

Reply to
my450sl

Can you turn the key?

Yes: Turn it to the 1st position, insert a large straight paper clip as far as you can in the hole at 11 o'clock, then unscrew the black bezel. You will need to remove the chrome escutcheon.

No: You are screwed! Will need to drill the lock pin so the steering lock will slide out of the column, then you need to replace the steering lock, bezel, and tumbler.

Reply to
Karl

THANKS. WILL TRY AND REPORT RESULTS.

Reply to
my450sl

ignition is in the dash, not the steering column. there is no chrome escutcheon.

Reply to
my450sl

There is a bezel that is black and surrounds the lock cylinder. If your lock has a single poke hole, then the bezel is threaded. Once the wire depresses the retainer, the bezel can unscrew.

If you have the kind with two poke holes, one poke hole will release the bezel (not threaded) and the other will release the ignition cylinder. The bezel needs to go first.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

The key goes in the tumbler, the tumbler goes into the steering lock, the steering lock goes INTO the column.

You should have a pretty chrome ring with black rubber that finishes off the the hole in the dash where the key goes in. THAT is the estcutcheon. The black bezel is in the hole. The black bezel will NOT fit thru the chrome ring unless you remove it.

Does the hole around the black bezel look crappy and unfinished?

Go here:

Click on Steering. Click on Ignition Lock Cover, 2nd item listed. THAT is the chrome ring and rubber ring. Now click on Ignition Lock Cover. THAT is the black bezel. Now click on Ignition Lock Cover above the pic, it will take you back to the list. Click on Steering again. Now click on Ignition Lock Housing, 4th item listed. THAT is your steering lock. It is a T shaped unit. The tumbler goes into the small end opposite the electrical plug. The long skinny end goes into the steering column.

Reply to
Karl

He already said it isn't in the column. It's in the dash...

He also said there is no chrome estcutcheon.

Thanks for playing.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

I know the key goes in the dash. He just doesn't realize that the lock goes into the column.

If he does not have all the parts I sent links for, then he does not have a

450SL with a stock ignition system and it is a butchered mess.

Reply to
Karl

thanks to all of you who responed to my problem. some of you were really close to the solution. In the end I resorted to

he provided detailed photos and quick response to all my questions. the large paper clip worked as a tool. the surrounding black steel collar unscrews. I hope to be replacing the cylinder next week.

Reply to
my450sl

REALLY CLOSE? Why don't you reread this thread...

Sheesh, Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

IT'S TRUE THAT A PICTURE SPEAKS A TOUSAND WORDS.

Reply to
my450sl