Ignition lock cylinder removal / repair 1992 190E 2.6

The ignition lock cylinder appears to have worn out. For the last year the mechanism has appeared a liitle loose. Now the key will not unlock the ignition.Working the key back and forth
finally allowed me to go home. Any ides on how to remove and replace the ignition switch.
What car do you have? There are two versions...
With key in position 1, put a straightened large paper clip into the tiny slots that lines up when turned to 1... push it in and wiggle up and down until all the way in. Other version has two slots... both holes must be pushed in with two paper clips.
With single hole version, try to grab the black armor and turn counterclockwise to loosen and remove. Then the tumbler can come out with that paper clip still in there.
Two hole version... should pop right out unless I forgot another step.
Thanks for the tip. You put me on the right track. The paperclip idea would not work for me. At least the size of the wire was too small and flexible to push the retainer spring out of the way. I got lucky with an internet search and found the following instructions and how to make a removal tool. For the wire I used an inexpensive wire coat hanger. The wire was heavy enough to work but still thin enough to get through the holes. http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl668h.htm Thanks Peter

Remove the cylinder now! Usually there is only a short time between the first sticking episode and complete failure. The task is not so bad if you can turn the key and very expensive and time consuming if you can't.
--

Roger Shoaf

Get it out now or you're looking at close to a $1000.00 to have it drilled out. After you get it out you can remove the "tumbers, I call them gates" but leave the key retainer in. That way you don't have to spend abut $200.00 on a new lock but it'll make it easier for thieves to steal your car. So just lock the doors.
--

73
Hank WD5JFR