Ignition Switch, 83 240D

The switch is getting cranky to the point that I just leave the key in a unlocked position rather than risk being stranded... It will turn after some jiggling but the end is nigh... The local mechanics (SE
Missouri) won't touch it which means a trip to Springfield or St. Louis for a replacement... Does anyone know of a good indy in either city, preferably Springfield...?
<! -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- > zenit

But I know in my girlfriends volvo you could eject the old cylindar and recode the new with your existing key as long the existing key is good, and the ingnition still turns occasionally.
Might be possible to do the same yourself?
Marty
if it locks your going to wish you had driven to Rome for a tumbler.
Tiger if he is out there can explain how to replace this i am sure
the case, minus a few cans!
Do it yourself... order one from the dealer... a new tumbler with your VIN number and proof of ownership. It even comes with a new key.
Turn Key to position 1 and you will see that little notch line up with the slot. Insert a straightened large paper clip... wiggle up and down until it goes in deep and stop.
Then grab that black armor surrounding the silver key slot/circle... and turn it counterclockwise to loosen... you should be able to do it by hand... you might need a gripper to give you more grip.
Spin the armor out... with the paper clip still in there... pull your key out with the tumbler.
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 04:21:30 GMT,
had to open a new box of zerones to say:

Thanks Tiger... I'm not much of a mechanic, but your explanation makes it sound as though I might be able to pull it off, or out as the case may be...
Anyone can do it... If you can install a lightbulb, then you can do this... but if it takes 10 people to help you install a lightbulb, you are out of luck.
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:33:36 GMT,
had to open a new box of zerones to say:

Laffin'... I've been married for 40 years and my wife has learned how to spin the ladder with such finesse I've never had to call in extra help to change those pesky bulbs...
The nice folks at Elite Automotive Group in Springfield just ordered the part and it'll be here by Monday... I queried the parts guy re: installation and your information was on the button... Again, thanks for the help...