Igtnition key quirk

I've just bought an additional ignition key for my 2004 CLK 240.

When I tried it out in the car, the first thing I noticed was that the driver's display of external temperature was now in degrees Centigrade.

I swapped back to my regular key, and the display returned to the normal Fahrenheit. So what is happpening here?

Are these display options saved in the memory of the ignition key? What more is in there?

David

Reply to
David J

Must be tied to the microchip inside the key... change the display in the car back to F and the key should remember it...

Reply to
Tiger

I did that.. and it does.

I just thought it weird that the ignition key should be involved in these settings.

David

Reply to
David J

All of the personal settings can be tied to the individuals key. This could include seat and mirror settings how the wheel is tilted and all of the preferences of the instrument cluster display.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I go to sleep every time I read a manual, be it for MB or computers. ;-) So please tell us how to do that.

I've a 2002 E-2002 and didn't know you had control over mirror settings other than when shifting into reverse.

This is all very interesting.

Reply to
James O'Riley

But isn't that what the 3 Memory buttons on the door are for...?

David

Reply to
David J

I thought we were taking about the Ignition Key storing information. ??? If not, I'm really lost. ;-)

Reply to
James O'Riley

It is called Key Dependant Feature. It comes with the black odd shaped Smart Key. But it only works with key 1 and key 2. If you get a new key to replace a bad one, make sure you get a replacement for #1 or #2. Each key number has 3 tiers. 1st tier is codes 1 to 200,000; 2nd tier is 200,001 to

400,000, 3rd tier is 400,001 to 600,000. Yes, when you get to rolling code 200,000 your key will not turn the ignition. If you just order a new key, you will get key #3 to key #7 and they do not have the Key Dependant Feature.

From here:

Dependent Memory This feature allows you to store up to 3 different memory settings per SmartKey or Keyless Go card. Memory settings include driver's seat and backrest position, setting for multicontour seat, steering wheel position, exterior mirror position, and, on some vehicles, automatic climate controls.

In order to activate/deactivate this feature, cycle through the instrument cluster's multifunction buttons and enter into the CONVENIENCE sub-menu. Select SETTING KEY DEPENDENT SETTINGS. Use the "+" and "-" buttons to turn this on or off.

This does NOT move the seat to your choice of memory positions until you actually push that memory button and hold it down until the seat stops.

If you grab your wife's key, and it doesn't know your memory positions, it's not a defect. If you use Key Dependent Memory, it's a good idea to put husband's settings in button 2 of wife's key's memory and vice versa.

On cars with digital climate control, the Key Dependent Memory will return the AC/Heat settings to the settings last selected while using that key.

"James O'Riley" >

Reply to
Karl

#1 or #2. Each key

400,000, 3rd tier is

turn the ignition.

the Key Dependant

or Keyless Go card.

multicontour seat, steering

climate controls.

cluster's multifunction

SETTINGS. Use the "+"

actually push that memory

not a defect. If you

2 of wife's key's

AC/Heat settings to

Many thanks Karl - excellent post, and at last someone knows what is going on!

This is one of the new odd-shaped Smart keys. I knew nothing about the key-dependant features you have desribed above, and it would seem that I was provided with a key #2 by chance, although I did say it for a mislaid key.

This topic is far more complex that I had realised. I have now found a section in the Owners Manual that refers to 'key dependant memory' and how it interacts with the other stored settings.

I will set it up accordingly.

David

Reply to
David J

#1 or #2. Each key

400,000, 3rd tier is

not turn the ignition.

have the Key Dependant

SmartKey or Keyless Go card.

multicontour seat, steering

climate controls.

cluster's multifunction

SETTINGS. Use the "+"

actually push that memory

not a defect. If you

2 of wife's key's

AC/Heat settings to

Thanks for the great link David.

I'll say I'm lost, I missed the part about this feature being for the years 2004-2005! Well I guess I'll have to see about getting rid of this old 2002 while my wife's asleep, if awake she'd kill me first. ;-)

Also, I just violated the Copyright by copying all to a word processor and printing it so I could take it to my old 2002 to test it out. `*8-o

Reply to
James O'Riley