Immobiliser relay stuck??

Got an inteesting one here - the car is a UK 1997 230e estate.
It would appear the immobiliser is not turning off when I open the car. I can open the doors, turn the engibe over but I cannot hear the fuel
pump spooling up.
The red and green lights go bonkers on the mirror. I've changed the fob batteries etc etc and tried both keys.
However, if I disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes, it comes out of its hissy fit and will start normally.
I suspect a relay somewhere.
Any ideas - thanks in advance!!!
Grant
--
Buzby
There's nothing more dangerous than a resourceful idiot

You mean the fob battery - done that - the car also has a 6 month old main battery.
But thanks anyway!
--
Buzby
There's nothing more dangerous than a resourceful idiot
My first impression is the battery too, but you tried.
Silly question, are the doors locked when you try to start? That is an indicator the remote key "arms" the car.
Buzby wrote:

Wan-ning Tan wibbled:

Not a daft question - no doors open, engine turns over, power to injectors etc etc. The fuek pump just doesn't spool up - however disconnecting the barttery for a few minutes seems to clear it.
--
Buzby
There's nothing more dangerous than a resourceful idiot

I think the question was meant as whether the antitheft system would open and lock the doors alright, assuming that door locks are interconnected with the antitheft system and thereby the immobiliser.
As said earlier, the fuel pump circuit would normally only be disconnected by the immobiliser as the last thing, i.e. starter- and ignition circuits would be switched off first.
Since the engine will crank and instrument lights presumably are on, you do have starter- and ignition circuits on. Therefor I do not believe, that you should look for the problem in the immobiliser, but in the fuel pump circuit instead (but I cannot be sure).
As also said, I do not know the W210 circuits, but I am quite confident, that the fuel pump relay is controlled by the ECU. Since disconnecting the battery for a while will allow the fuel pump work, I assume that the fuel pump relay circuit is OK, and you should therefor look for the reason why ECU does not swith on the relay. Maybe someone else can help you out there (I don't know the logic to switch it on... in W210 that is).

Is it W124 or W210 body (old or new generation), and is it original or retrofitted immobiliser?
I don't know the original, but I know immobilisers in general.
1-way immobiliseres typically only switch off ignition circuit. 3-way immobilisers switch off ignition circuit, starter circuit and fuel pump.
Since starter circuit works but fuel pumps don't, I would look in the fuel pump circuit.
Under all circumstances, get the immobiliser reset.
Jens wibbled:

Hi Jens
It's a 97 W210 if that makes any difference?
Cheers
Grant
--
Buzby
There's nothing more dangerous than a resourceful idiot

In this case the difference is, that I know the W124 circuits but not W210.... sorry.