in-dash cd for 97 E320

I sold the trunk-mount unit. Now I'd like to improve the in-dash unit. Any recommendations on an in-dash radio/cd player/changer unit?
Collin

To keep your functionality at the steering wheel, you should stay with factory cd-changer.
But my 97 has no steering wheel controls.
Collin
Mmm... I guess it is different from 01... If you are looking for aftermarket unit to install... I suggest Premier or Pioneer products...
I have looked into Crutchfield for more info on your car. You can put any head units into your car... I prefer Pioneer or Premier because of the quality and flexibility of their units to satellite radio, sirius or xm, your choice... and a variety of features depending on your needs.
I also have Crutchfield referral code so you can save $20 on your order.
Crutchfield Referral Code is: p6q15-diywt-s2icf
In addition to that, Crutchfield offer unliminted tech support on installation.
I also recommend Alpine. I had a Pioneer in my 300E, I replaced it with an Alpine that ran 150 bucks at Best Buy, it was MUCH BETTER. Pioneer has the best tuner out there, but the power and sound from the Alpine unit is much cleaner and crisper.
Best sound quality is always external amplifier... I never consider head unit by its internal amp. It is just useless to me. Alot of MB cars nowdays have external amps.
a note from my experience installing a new head unit in my 96 300d. I could not find anything suitable to visually 'blend in'. almost everything out there is of the wrong color for lighting purposes. While its a standard DIN mounting and can accept most head units-consider how far out the radio will protrude. I settled on a Sony with a flip down panel for CD and XM capable. Standard mounting would have allowed it to protrude approximately 1 inch from the console-looked out of place. I manipulated the sleeve for the radio (sleeve mounts first inside the DIN opening, then you slide in the head unit) to allow it to recess a little less than 1". still have one more cosmetic thing to do with the bezel and it will be done. Also of note, I took the bright silver panels off my Sony and painted them black to match the dash. good luck.
Tiger wrote:

chevy4x4 wrote:

Have a look at this page;
http://www.whnet.com/4x4/radios.html
Especially the Becker ones that will give you the amber light.
br, syljua
True, but finding space for them can be an issue. I have the alpine running the fron and rear speakers, with an amp running the sub (The alpine I have has a really nice/adjustable sub crossover and adjustable parameters for bass and treble). It is really clean and plays MP3/WMA files. Plus, if I feel the need, I can thump with the young'uns if I wanna.
I dumped in a run of the mill JVC MP3 unit in my 96. Works okay - be prepared for a few extra $$ on converter pieces to change standard connections in the back of the deck to "european" ones. Also - make sure your AM radio works when you leave, mine did not.
Cheesehead wrote:

Thanks. My college-aged sons make fun of me for listening to am radio. But we've got an AM station in Columbus that plays old, good stuff form a 60-year or so span. And I turned 50 last Friday so it works out fine. Now where's that Petula Clard CD ?
Collin
Pardon the typo. That's "Petula Clark". Only the best music in my car. ; )
Collin
Get the satellite radio... you will never go back to AM... they got great assortment of oldies...