Info on 1998 or 99 E300 Turbo Diesel

I am looking for feedback on the 1998-99 E300 TD. Is this a reliable car? I have heard great things about the turbocharged 606.962 engine (4 valve per
cyl) in the 210 chassis. 5-spd auto. Makes 176 HP and 244 lb-ft, 0-60 in 8.5 secs, amazing fuel mileage (35-40 mpg on hwy). I have heard of some doing 1100 miles on a 23 gal tank!
I am seriously thinking of bidding on a 1998 model with 80k miles, going for $20k. Appears to be in excellent shape. I am looking for a replacement for my old Saab.
I have looked at buying a 1993 E300 2.5TD, but could not find one in good shape with reasonable mileage.
Comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks-Raj

Keep looking for the 210 chassis. I had a '91 300D 2.5Turbo (211k miles) for about a week before it cracked a piston and a head. I found out later that the 602 engine was notorious for cracked heads after 150k miles.
I sold it to a guy that likes to rebuild cars and he ended up selling it when he couldn't find a decent replacement engine in a yard. There is a reason they are had to find....
I have an '84 300d Turbo 123 chassis that is very reliable(219k miles) and easy to work on.

I have had a '99 e300DT for about a year. Great car. However, had to have the glow plugs replaced at 50k and the driver seat makes a clicking sound. These are common problems with this model
NJF

Replacing glow plugs at 50k miles is very common with any Mercedes diesel. It all depends on how many times you start your diesel in those 50k miles. The more times you start your diese,l the shorter the glow plug life. Clicking seat... Who know what causes that?
Thanks for your info, guys. I finally purchased a 1999 E300 Turbodiesel yesterday, on Ebay. The car did not meet reserve, so I called after the auction to the MB dealer and negotiated. Car appears to be in very good condition, with 80k miles. Has every option imaginable, including Xenon lights, ESP, Bose premium stereo, lumbar articulated seats, etc. I am paying $22.8k for it. One-owner car in scottsdale, AZ who traded for an S-class. I have been checking Ebay for a few weeks now and I am surprised at the resale value of these TD's.
Do you think I overpaid? They wanted 25.5k, but agreed for $22.8k. Seems like the most rational luxury car ever made! I don't like the 80k miles, but the ones with 40-50k miles are going for nearly $30k. I would appreciate any comments on this purchase. I have always bought fairly inexpensive cars and this feels like splurging. It does seem to have value considering that you can spend ~$18k for a new honda civic. (paid $10k for my current saab and drove it 200k miles).
Here are some pictures:
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/vr4men/99E300D004.jpg
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/vr4men/99E300D011.jpg
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/vr4men/99E300D020.jpg
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/vr4men/99E300D032.jpg
Raj
Email: snipped-for-privacy@ufl.edu
<BR>&gt; &gt;I have had a '99 e300DT for about a year.&nbsp;&nbsp; Great car.&nbsp; However,&nbsp; had to<BR>&gt; &gt;have the glow plugs replaced at 50k and the driver seat makes a clicking<BR>&gt; &gt;sound.&nbsp; These are common problems with this model<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Replacing glow plugs at 50k miles is very common with any Mercedes diesel.&nbsp; It<BR>&gt; all depends on how many times you start your diesel in those 50k miles.&nbsp; The<BR>&gt; more times you start your diese,l the shorter the glow plug life.&nbsp; Clicking<BR>&gt; seat...&nbsp; Who know what causes that?<BR>&gt; </FONT></BODY></HTML> ------=
NJF:
Could you please tell me what is the ground clearance for your TD, at midpoint between the front and rear wheels? My driveway is rather steep and I am afraid I might scrape the MB bottom. My Saab has a 8.5" clearance and clears it easily. thanks-Raj