Info. on Merc 308D?

Hello,
I'm just looking for information regarding the Merc 308d. I'm considering buying one for a summer road trip and just need to know things like common problems to look out for; how many miles for how
much money; any spare parts I might need to take along; how easy it is to put in/remove seats; any particular year that is particularly good/ bad (I'm thinking 88-92). I'm thinking about an automatic gearbox - any good?
Any alternatives to suggest? Maybe the 310d?
Thanks very much for any help guys!
Jack.