Inline sixes vs. v-sixes

I guess I'm late to realize this, but it just occurred to me that Mercedes no longer has a straight six. I guess it ended with the 124 cars. What is the reason for this switch? Is it a good thing or a bad thing?
Will the v's run forever as the Benz straight 4 & 6's always have? My inkling would be yes, as the v-8's they made in the 70's & 80's were some of the best engines ever built (excluding the 380). But I've always loved the power delivery from a straight six. From the 1967 230 I had until a few years ago, to the 1986 300e I have now.
It seems to me Benz should always make a straight six....
Chris
One "advantage" of the V-6 is that it allows for a shorter engine bay which could aid in other design considerations like aerodynamic and other parts placement.

Chris O'Malley wrote:

Reason is production cost: V6, V8 and V12 can be produced on the very same production line.
Another aspect is the shorter length, allowing shorter hoods resp. more crumple space in crashes.
Juergen - loved his 1972 230 6-banger straight
Merc still make a straight six turbo diesel 3.2 litre and its available in the the new e320cdi and s320cdi. Before you scoff these engines produce as much torque as the larger v8s. unfortunately they are not available in all US states for emission reasons.
Graeme Robertson wrote:

In fact that is an engine family, straight 4, 5 and 6 cylinders.
It will be avialbale in the US not so far from now (E 320 CDI - no guarantee for this info)
Juergen
Hello,
The 3,2-litre straight six diesel returns to USA this autumn as 2004 E320 CDI. If it is selling well, we might see E320 CDI estate as well as possibly 4-litre V8 diesel motor.
You are correct in a part about the emission reasons. California is not too kind to the diesel motors because of NOX output. The cleaner fuel mandate in 2006 will perhaps change the perception of diesel motors.
Oliver
Graeme Robertson wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 06:02:47 GMT, "Chris O'Malley"

The V-6 were introduced in the second year of the W210. The first year had the straight six. The reason, like Juergen says, was cost, even though a 90 degree V-6 is not the best for balance (a 60 degree V6 is better balanced). But because a 90 V8 is better, Mercedes just used the same 90 block.

This matches the remarks made by german motor journalist.
The swap from inline to V-six was made by Mercedes out of the following reasons:
* lighter and shorter engine, helps to save space and fuel * Many parts are interchangeable between V6 and V8, so they have advantages at the engine assembly line
IMHO Mercedes gave away a big advantage to BMW, who ever refused to make a V6 engine and brag around with their smooth inline sixes (they are really smooth)
Frank

Agreed, the switch from Straight 6 to V6 was (IMHO) a bad move from Mercedes. And I think one of the reasons was that the C-class needed a 6 cylinder engine, and the "old" inline just wouldnt fit.
Nowadays if you want a real six you have to go BMW. And a V6 is so damn _Audi_............

Aerodynamic body design is the reasoning...
I think I agree. Stright sixes just have a better power delivery. And agreed on the bmw comment as well... I used to have a '91 735 that was smooth as silk....
I think benz has made a mistake....Hopefully they'll at least bring the diesels back to the US....

The E320CDI diesel Sedan will be in dealers showrooms as I understand it in Aug/Sep when the 2004 models are introduced.
Jack

Someone told me that V6 is quieter than an inline 6. Isn't it true?

Dunno. Have a 116 with a 110 engine. At times it will sound like a diesel with the valve clearance being correct. :-)
Josh

Actually it's more like so damn _Alfa_ ;-) Which, I hasten to add, isn't a bad thing necessarily. The howl of my GTV6's V6 still tingles my spine.
Actually Lancia produced the world's first V6, but they're the under the same group of comanies today, so I used poetic license...
Ciao