Interesting Edmunds article on new DIESELS!

Page 2 of 2
T.G. Lambach wrote:

Car magazine did a test of a hybrid petrol/electric Mclass with a diesel Mclass running across the USA. There was not a great deal in it but the diesel won in economy and running cost. This was only a couple or three months ago.

Yes, very similar complex technology and hardware to a petrol engine version but much simpler than a petrol/electric hybrid. FWIW the previous Mercedes diesel engines [the four, five and straight six CDi] have not got the best reliability record in the industry, but then neither have the rest of the car.

These days the diesel goes for 15000 miles between oil changes and this is likely to increase soon, possibly to double or 30,000 miles or 2 years. They have already got the oil specification finalised for this service life and other brands already run well established 30,000 mile oil change intervals, which obviously needs ultra low sulphur fuel to be possible.

It surely depends on the driving experience and the economics where you are. You do not know any of this yet so I cannot see how you form an objective opinion. You have an opinion, yes, but not an objective one based on economics and experience of the product. When the diesel cars are available where you are, you may well find that your initial opinion is correct, or maybe not.
Huw

Which car engine manufacturer has the best reliability record?
cp
cp wrote:

Good question. On the whole I would have to say Toyota. Nissan also have fairly bomb proof engines. Also Honda if driven fairly hard from new.
None are 100% reliable. Top three appear to be Japanese.
Individual engines designs within a brand might differ or vary in reliability.
Huw

Perhaps for the last 5-10 years, I'd find it very hard to believe for anything older than that. The two Hondas I've had took quite a bit of abuse, one I ran out of water with and drove until choked, but was OK after. Perhaps greater tolerances in the design or something.

Aren't the recent ones from Renault? (or at least the top end ones)
cp
cp wrote:

Oh yes. I have experience with many older Japanese and European vehicles and the quality and longevity of things like track rod ends and suspension bushes is so much better on the Japanese brands. European brands and built vehicles may well have caught up by now, as they have to, but I have no proof of this yet personally.

There is a certain amount of cross pollination. I think the Micra diesel has a Renault sourced engine. Nothing wrong with that if it raises Renaults game and quality, which has already improved by leaps and bounds over the last twenty years. They produced some good little cars before that mind you, thinking of the 4 and 5.
Huw

hmmmmmm such things are secondary, if not tertiary matters.

Yes, too bad we don't get any of those small sensible diesels here in Canada.
cp
cp wrote:

Neither have I found either drivetrains or bodies to be of a lower standard.

If fuel sulphur was reduced then you might. Is there a demand though? Perhaps your petrol is cheap enough that economy is next to unimportant? Maybe your petrol storage rules allow anyone to store petrol at their home in bulk or your fuel stations are all conveniently two minutes down the road?
Huw
London black taxis have Nissan diesels (the newer ones at least). The drivers like 'em.
DAS
"cp" < snipped-for-privacy@asdf.com> wrote in message

Yes, I noticed those, now what would it take to import one of those, perhaps a Q45D =)
cp
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Yes, I have the same engine. I did have three until I sold them. Totally reliable and last almost indeffinately. Not the latest technology and therefore not the cleanest exhaust but reliable.
Huw

For a typical driver that would be 4 oil changes per year, a 15 minute job that costs $20 in materials and a yearly (I was told every 20K KM) valve adjustment, doesn't seem too bad to me.
cp