Interesting Edmunds article on new DIESELS!

I can't really compare the two, one is a Mercedes Vito 115 Cdi and the other a Jaguar X-Type 2.0 V6, they both average 26 mpg.

And I've not either long enough to have any meaningful service costs.

I think they only do this in a Quattro, if it's really that powerful I'd probably find the 2.5 TDi fine, I can't remember the last time I drove anywhere that allowed me to really open a car up anyway.

I owned a Range Rover for many years a 4.6 V8, it was horribly uneconomical I could get single figures on a bad day, but it's still the only car I've ever owned that I actually miss, everything else is really just transport.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan Mudd

I have a Vito 110CDi and it is not a very good. Rusting, new brake disks, new engine. All in 45000 miles. Never have any touble with other vans. Not even with the same driver.

It really is that powerful.

Yes. The new diesel that I have got is great but the engine noise intrudes somewhat compared with my Toyota and even my new Fiat Panda. That is not good enough. Having said that, it is my third Range Rover and there is just something special about them that I love.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I love the drive of this van, and it's an Auto which is why I bought it, but there are so many problems with it and the dealer service is just not good, I'll not be replacing it with a Mercedes of any description.

I really had thought a lot of the bad press was simply that...bad press but it's much deeper than that, Chrysler have infected Mercedes with American build quality, not something I'd shout about.

It'll be Japanese for the vans next time.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan Mudd

We have much more luck with Renault/Vauxhall/Nissan vans. They are all the same van really. Ford Transit is also fairly bomb proof but expensive.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Perhaps for the last 5-10 years, I'd find it very hard to believe for anything older than that. The two Hondas I've had took quite a bit of abuse, one I ran out of water with and drove until choked, but was OK after. Perhaps greater tolerances in the design or something.

Aren't the recent ones from Renault? (or at least the top end ones)

cp

Reply to
cp

Oh yes. I have experience with many older Japanese and European vehicles and the quality and longevity of things like track rod ends and suspension bushes is so much better on the Japanese brands. European brands and built vehicles may well have caught up by now, as they have to, but I have no proof of this yet personally.

There is a certain amount of cross pollination. I think the Micra diesel has a Renault sourced engine. Nothing wrong with that if it raises Renaults game and quality, which has already improved by leaps and bounds over the last twenty years. They produced some good little cars before that mind you, thinking of the 4 and 5.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

London black taxis have Nissan diesels (the newer ones at least). The drivers like 'em.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

the quality and longevity of things like track rod

hmmmmmm such things are secondary, if not tertiary matters.

Renault sourced engine. Nothing wrong with that if

bounds over the last twenty years. They produced some

Yes, too bad we don't get any of those small sensible diesels here in Canada.

cp

Reply to
cp

Yes, I noticed those, now what would it take to import one of those, perhaps a Q45D =)

cp

Reply to
cp

Neither have I found either drivetrains or bodies to be of a lower standard.

If fuel sulphur was reduced then you might. Is there a demand though? Perhaps your petrol is cheap enough that economy is next to unimportant? Maybe your petrol storage rules allow anyone to store petrol at their home in bulk or your fuel stations are all conveniently two minutes down the road?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Yes, I have the same engine. I did have three until I sold them. Totally reliable and last almost indeffinately. Not the latest technology and therefore not the cleanest exhaust but reliable.

Huw

Reply to
Huw