Intermittent instrument cluster 97' E320

Folks,

I need this boards help.

First, I have an instrument cluster on my E320 1997. The instrument cluster back lights for the Tac, speedo, gas, temp don't come on at all. Is there somenthing in common for all these lights?

Second, the dials are intermittent. When I start the car in the morning all the dials wrok as they should. Any subsequent starts of the car after the inital start and the dials don't work. The low feul indicator always works right but the needle doesn't move after the first start. All needles stop working after the first start. On the first start of the days everything works fine excepet for back lighting.

Any suggestions?

Thanx Darryl

Reply to
Darryl Cummings

Back lights' brightness is controlled by a dimmer (buttons) on left side. But I suspect, optimistically, that the panel's ground connection is intermittent. IF one KNOWS what to do next, the panel can be pulled out.

I paid dealer $140 to replace all the bulbs after one had burned out because I didn't KNOW wheat to do after the panel was out!

But before doing anything with the panel I suggest you check the harness connections (plug-ins) under hood and under dash for tightness.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach