iPod/MP3 Player Connection Suggestions?

How are people interfacing their iPod & MP3 players with their factory MB stereos? For example, the 1999 stereos have the flip down faceplate. This
faceplate makes it impossible to use the wired cassette shaped adapters because it won't let you close the faceplate's door due to the wire. I tried the iTrip but that is seriously overrated and was quite disappointing (drifting signal, chopped out high range, overall blah sound). I pretty much expected this from an FM transmitter type system (it sounded just as bad on my home system) but gave it a try anyway (it is on its way back for a return) and imagine that the other transmitter type units from Belkin, etc. will be just as unsatisfactory. Any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance! Doug
--
Doug's "MF Film Holder" for batch scanning "strips" of 120/220 medium format
film:

This
disappointing
etc.
CD Stacker wiring loom with a conversion faceplate to fit in the glovebox and take a straight headphone connection into two RCA's.
I know for a fact that Alpine have just released a fully compatible iPOD technology in a radio. Didnt bookmark it but the news came out a few weeks ago on the net.
The Alpine system has total control over the iPOD and the Alpine remote has a similar function.
I first used FM Modulator for the MP3 jukebox in my car, the audio quality was horrible, it's as bad, or even worse, than radio. And Benz radio quality is known as aweful.
I then take out the radio (very easy, just make sure you have the radio code, and the key use to unhook the radio). Put in the (Sony) cassette adaptor, the front panel would not close due to the wire. That's when I pop the top of the radio (very easy, no screw, just pull it up, it'll come up), run the wire via the top to the back of the radio, down to the ash-tray (I take out the ash-tray plastic container, and put the MP3 in its place).
This make my car very clean. You don't even know there's cassette adaptor in the stereo, since the wire come out via the back. The MP3 player is hidden too, and best of all, the audio quality is AWESOME !!!!!