IR Door Lock Switch?

After having this 2002, Louisiana built, E-320 for a year I discovered something new. There's a small 1/4" x 1/2" black rectangle behind the
key lock for the doors. It also operates the doors (lock/unlock) and trunk.
Anyone know how far back this feature goes in years?
Unlocking/Locking doors and trunks are done via RF signal... not IR. IR is used to opening/closing your windows and sunroof with your remote control. IR operating distance is about 15' max.
Tiger wrote:

Thanks Tiger, I really don't care if it's IR or RF, but that's an interesting fact. I just tried it and it operated though my hand.
But now my curiosity is up, how do you get the sunroof to open/close?
For how many years has that technique been used?
I was hoping you read your owner's manual... once unlock... press and hold unlock until all your windows and sunroof opens. Key must be pointed at the IR hole.
Closing is lock and then press and hold lock.
I think it is when they started using the keyfob... I am not sure how far it goes back... at least 2000.
Tiger wrote:

I found this morning that you could point the key at the ground or behind my hand and the doors would unlock.
The owner's manual is like reading the help file for Thunderbird or Firefox; it's like reading a dictionary, you have to know the right keyword to find anything in a reasonable amount of time. ;-)

The doors unlock by rf so it will work through walls etc for a short distance.
If you go about 100 yards from the vehicle you will go out of range. But if you then put the ir window of the key to your head and operate the buttons you will find that your head has boosted the range!!
Alec

Alec wrote:

Wow! Now that's a keeper! Thanks, James

Just goes to show. There's no head like radio head.

Can't tell you when they started, but I can open/close the windows via IR on my '98
--
Steve Heath

Mmm... if 1998 can do it... then 1996 should be able to do it... that's when W210 came out.
Tiger wrote:

I had a 1996 E-320 and it had a key.
Also, regarding the roll down of windows if door unlock button pressed the second time:
The '96 didn't affect the sun roof, but today I tried it and *everything* opened except the trunk. ;-)
LOL... the trunk... LOL...