Is 400,000 miles (650,000 km) good engine life for 300 Turbo Diesel?

Page 2 of 2

What weight and type of oil do you have in there and what's the ambient temperature?

Does that car have the hand priming pump next to the injecter pump? If so, try hand priming it.
I had similar symptoms that turned out to be an air leak in the fuel line. The car would sit, loose prime and then not start.
If my idea is correct, I suspect that when you tow start it, you are spinning the engine so fast that the fuel system picks up prime.
Doug