Is a W124 300E a good first Mercedes?

I'm coming on from ownership of mainly Saabs, a Toyota and one slightly old Lexus LS400.

I would consider a 300d but in the UK we didn't get the turbo d option. I tend to do about 13-15k miles a yeah, mainly motorway but at peak congested times. That is what I liked about the Lexus, it was an auto, but all my other cars have been manuals. What I didn't like was the soggy ride and the thirst of the 4.0 V8 when not doing 50-70.

The W124 looks to be a solid reliable workhorse. I want comfort and reliability, but also a bit of performance if I put my foot down. I'm not a hooning boy racer, I'm 40 this year and I left driving like a fool a long time ago.

Reply to
Elder

is your best choice!!! i think the w124 is the best MB ever made fast, cheap ,comfortable,elegant and safe if you can find a w124 300 24valv o better a 500 v8 ( no ones wants to sell them)

Reply to
Dr_Chino

Solid, well regarded model. In USA, had a 3.0L 12 valve straight six, later on a 3.2L 24 valve straight six. There's also a USA 260E straight six model with less equipment, at the time probably marketed to hit a certain price point in the model line up.

I owned a'97 E320, very nice engine. 26 - 27 mpg (US) at speed (65 mph) on longer trips, probably 17 - 18 mpg (US) in local driving.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

Considering the age of the car... your budget and what type of fuel economy you are looking for. I think you are looking for diesel rather than gas engine.

I don't know what cars UK has but you may want to consider the newer W210 cars.. unless it is too big for you... W124 is a very nice car... heck I drives one...

I would look hard... newer to older... sizewise... then engine choice with fuel economy to think of and then finding the right car. Good luck!

Reply to
Tiger

have a 500sec here no one wants to buy that

Reply to
Rob

In article , "-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
Elder

Thanks to Rob and the good Dr

A 500 would be loverly, but even with fuel prices taking a temporary dip, too rich for my blood. Don't the 500 V8 models use slightly more complicated rear suspension too.

Reply to
Elder

We got the W210 but they were notorious for rot in the UK. A W124 is just slightly smaller than my current Saab 9000, and a lot smaller than my old Lexus LS.

From talking to current W124 owners on various forums I'm a member of, they have said they get similar economy to my Aero. Sadly the Aero has had a transmission change in the past. As a cost cutting measure, the gearbox from a 2.0 injection model was fitted instead of the correct Aero box (they tend to be less worn too) but that has lead a lower final drive, higher revving all the time, and so a drop in economy. I'm getting an average of 26mpg but the Aero needs 98RON Super unleaded. I'm guessing a 300 Eclass could run on normal 95Ron which is quite a bit cheaper too. My old Lexus which wasn't in a good state of tune, being a JDM model it was missing service history, and I have to admit, having paid £600 with a years MOT on it, I didn't keep up the maintenance. It didn't need anything, but I'm usually meticulous about things like plugs/oil etc. It did leak a bit of oil and coolant, so it got a rolling change ;), but I should have given it a full change at least once and I ashamed to say I left it nearly 12000miles on the same oil and it didn't miss a beat.

I've already paid to get the servicing done on the saab twice since I've had it but the headgasket went within a couple of weeks of me buying.

I don't mind simplicity and I don't mind cars getting older. My oldest car was a Saab 900 T16S which was a 1984. It was one of the scruffiest, but most solid, reliable fun cars I've ever owned.

Reply to
Elder

Hi Carl. Rust shoudl not be an issue if it was prepped with rust inhibitor. We had a 1988 Mazda RX7 which we bought new and had Waxoyl put on at the dealer. The car never had rust even now as we sold the car. Simply amazing. By now, most Mazda would have been a rust bucket... but not this car. I can't see why it can't be done for UK vehicles either especially you know that it s problem in UK.

As for the MB, we have our fair share of rust too... On W126, they are notorious for front fender by the wheel wells and the back wheel well area where water get splashed into the crevice. Rust spot on rear window by the edge is also an issue... same goes for W124.

Late model E320 also requires premium fuel... so it is no help to you either. Diesel will get you 40% more fuel mileage than gas engine... so it should be considered.

Having another W210 would make it easy for you to take care of... you know what to do when problem arises. However, you are probably looking for a variety to drive... not a twin.

The biggest problem with buying older MB is the wear and tear items... shocks, tires, brake, steering, maybe rusted/broken springs...air conditioner... etc. Unless you are super handy on fixing car, these item will cost you dearly that you probably wished for newer car instead. Take your time to weigh all options... and yes, MB would be my choice of vehicle...

Reply to
Tiger

Some notes:

W124s run fine on 95 octane (Europe, c. 91 US). The word "premium" in Europe implies

97/98 octane and, AFAIK, no normal Merc ever needed or needs it.

As regards the rot in the UK, it's to do with our weather, so some cars may show more rust than in regions, especially if not prep'd or looked after properly.

I had a W124 for over 6 years (and 120K miles) and had no significant rust probs that I can recall. The next owners kept it for quite a while, though I don't know if it is still running.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

On the W210 in the UK there have been cases of whole crossmembers rotting out on fairly new cars, undersides of the hood breaking through.

They totally murdered the reputation with that one model. The W211 helped bring it back, but not by much.

Reply to
Elder

In the UK, Premium is 95, Super is 97/98/99 RON.

I'm glad they can run on 95. What is the tank capacity then on a 124?

Reply to
Elder

Wow... that is really severe. In this case, I would recommends Waxoyl or other similar protection... even when the car is new to fight off the salt and weather conditions that promotes rust.

Reply to
Tiger

I seem to recall a tank capacity of approx 60 l. An existing owner might provide a more accurate number.

On which forecourt have you seen 99 Octane?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Tesco. Their Superunleaded is all 99RON. Even the older stations which state minimum 97RON on the pumps all carry

99RON.

use it in the Saab because it is the same price or cheaper than Shell V power, and V power and Ultimate are both 98 RON in the UK.

Reply to
Elder

Some examples.

?md=243 Apparently he is details of the crossmember problem.
From what I've heard from people who have had issues or avoided 210s because of it, the crossmember is hidden, so even though we in the UK have one of the strictest annual inspections (MOT) , it isn't visible so it isn't tested (They aren't allowed to dismantle it is a visible test only) but if it wasn't hidden they would fail it as it will be within

30cm of a brake or suspension component.
Reply to
Elder

Wow... I should take a closer look at my folk's W210. I don't recall seeing any rust on that car at all.

Reply to
Tiger

I wonder where they get that from because neither BP nor Shell (my usual 'suppliers') had it when I last looked a while ago, admittedly.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Greenenergy make it just for Tesco supermarkets to be sold on Tesco petrol stations.

Reply to
Elder

I know that the consensus opinion that the w124 is The Greatest, but I hate the seats. My 87 is a really bad ride. Now, if you can get a 94/95 with the same seats as the W210 then you will have some comfort.

We've had a W123, W124 (x3) and a W210 (97). Personally, I think both the W123 and W210 both have a better ride. And the features of the W210 are exceptional. If you get a 94/95 W124 you'll also appreciate the better radio with the WB. I found it handy when driving in sever weather in Madison a few years ago.

More specifically to your question, a W124 is a great car, and better if you get a later one.

Reply to
Cheesehead