Is it really a Mercedes or more a Chyrsler ??

Page 2 of 2

yeah I know but I'm closing on a 42 unit apartment so I haven't had a lot of free time but I will soon.

AFAIK, this different nomenclature is not followed that carefully in Europe as it's in the US. At it makes sense to me. "All wheel drive" and "four wheel drive" should mean the same as long as the vehicle has four wheels.

Mostly true, but things are getting murkier. The new Chrysler Crossfire is already made in Germany. Also, the differences between the new Saab 9-3, the new Chevy Malibu, and the new Opel/Vauxhall Vectra are smaller than ever.
--
Ignasi.
'90 325is

luxury
off.
it "AWD"

terms of

a look at

in the US,

combination exists,

5-speed
Hmm. I am not sure whether the diesel is a 4x4 or not. Up until you mentioned it, I was fairly confident that the only front drive version was the entry level 2.0 petrol. Have had a look in Car magazine with no luck.

and
Absolutely. 'SUV' is not widely used here. A BMW X5 is hardly an utility vehicle. It is just a [slightly] higher standing 5 Series with quite small load area. It has four wheels, all of which are driven. It is considered as a potential purchase by the same people who consider all varieties of Audi, Mercedes, Range Rover, Volvo, Subaru and even by some as the 7 series BMW and other vehicles that are not even all wheel drive. In fact I changed a Jaguar XK8 sports coupe for the LAnd Cruiser and have never regretted it. Maybe the absolute classification of vehicles, which makes at least one poster here rather hot under the collar, is a particularly childish American phenomenon? Certainly most European potential Audi A8 4x4 buyers would consider the Audi Allroad, VW Touareg and Range Rover but probably not a Jaguar X Type due to its very compact passenger compartment.
Huw
writes:

"AWD"
Well, my own definition is, if all the differentials are (or can be) *locked*, then it's 4WD because all 4 are driven at any given instant. If any diffs are open and one wheel *may* slip as a result, then it's AWD. Notice that *some* vehicles (most Jeeps) can fit both definitions, depending on the drivetrain setting.

and
*Getting*, but not there yet. There are currently *no* Benz models that could be considered 'Chryslers' with a tri-star badge. In response to the OP, who's shopping *now*, my response is accurate. -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)
writes:

it
in
drive" and

instant. If

AWD.
depending
Then all Land Rovers are AWD while old Land Cruiser 80's were 4WD while recent 100 Series are AWD. Not a very helpful definition IMO, especially as all the 4wd vehicles by your deffinition will also be rear, front or AWD when the diffs are open.
Huw
writes:

Just to muddy the waters ;o)
Personally I'd consider a 4WD as something that I (as the driver) can modify the behaviour of. An AWD is what it says on the tin - AWD, as defined by the manufacturer.
Of course, by this definition, many modern 4WDs might become AWDs..
H1K

can modify

defined by the

" How it works" is of only academic interest. As long as it does work, then I am happy. All the vehicles which have drive to all four wheels have worked in the environment for which they were designed. The x5 and Volvo are only suitable for places where the standard saloons can go. The only system I find fairly useless is 'hill descent control' on the station wagon that is the X5. It is also fairly useless in the Mercedes M because it cannot be switched off in that application and can be the cause of slides. In my experience, almost all owners of Volvo, Audi, VW and BMW 4x4's only consider them to be big saloon cars, which is after all what they are, albeit with drive to four wheels as a bonus. Would they sell without the fashionable 4x4 tag? Yes. After all, most Audi and BMW 5 series sold are not fitted with 4x4 and those that are, seldom leave metalled roads or see more than a light sprinkling of snow or some ice, which is all they are capable of.
Huw

modify
That then would bring in all the *older* Audis that were *normally* AWD but had two differentials (center & rear) that could be manually locked to produce a kind of '3WD' (one front wheel always left to slip).

Leaving my old dinosaur of a Ford F350 as the only *true* 4WD, eh? But yes, you're right. At least in my opinion. It always grates on me to see "4X4" slapped on an AWD sedan or coupe ... -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; drove that)
C.R. Krieger wrote:

There is however the Dodge Sprinter which is a Mercedes Sprinter without the Tri-star and a less attractive grill. Otherwise it is identical from what I can see on the Dodge web site. They even kept the name.
I like it.
--
SECRET HIDDEN MESSAGE BELOW
PLEASE STOP READING HERE

That's really funny. It's like a taller Vito, isn't it? But I guess C.R. still technically(*) right, since the Sprinter is a van. And also, he was looking at Chryslers badged as MB's and not the opposite as the Sprinter is.
(*) After all he's a lawyer!
--
Ignasi.
'90 325is

If you look at the commercial car division of MB, MB seems to be far less touchy to make badge engineering and to cooperate with other manufacturers. In Germany the MB Sprinter and the VW LT share about 80% of their parts (although VW sells LTs with their own engines). Did you know that MB bought ten thousands of VW VR6 engines to fit into their V- class (Vito based minivan), because they were not able to make a suitable 6 cylinder FWD powertrain on their own?
Frank

Ok, so go for an "estate" or "station wagon" style instead. What about a rangerover?? Badger.
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:16:44 -0000, "Badger"

Wrong NG to ask about a very expensive non-functioning piece of junk collecting dust on Mars.
Why not al Allroad? No other manufacturer comes close to Audi AWD so why bother trying to replace a high probability roll over candidate with a nice AWD wagon?