Is it wise to buy a 1991 300E?

I haven't owned a Benz before but I know they are very nice cars but I also know that they cost alot to repair and the average mechanic won't work on them.
So, this car is for sale: ==================1991 BENZ 300E 116k RUNS GOOD LOOKS BEUTIFULL, CARS HAS A SALVAGE TITLE. ==================
Is that model year good or bad? I will check the issue of the salvage title of course but is there anything that I need to look for in this particular year. In general, is this car easy to work on or not? Is it an interference engine i.e. if Timing belt brakes it is almost gone?
Don't bother with salvage titled car... not worth the hassle.
Plus the advertiser can't spell even elementary words. Would one want to buy from someone like that?
DAS
"Tiger" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:JWaKi.67$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga...
Don't buy a car with a salvage title. There's no shortage of cars so why buy a compromise?
The model is a well known one and liked by owners. M-B doesn't use timing belts, only timing chains which can also break but typically only after 2x or 3x the life of a belt.
Many owners do their own maintenance and repairs; parts for the volume models, like E300 E320 are widely available on line so don't be shy about DIY maintenance and repairs.
Find a nice car with a regular title and be happy.
permission.
On Sep 25, 2:10 pm, "-->> T.G. Lambach <<--" <"T.G. Lambach at NoHamorSpamcomcast.net"> wrote:

I have one, same year/model. Thinks/problems to look for: AC, Fuel supply (the car must not "shake" in any sense when in D and stoped). Rust under the windows rubbers, Sun roof - opening and tilting without noises, Exhaust system, resonator, cat, etc... Slammimg doors, Becker CD player and changer, automatic antenna, Front lights ( intensity of from the in-famous sealed beans),
My advise is to take the car to a overall inspection with a good MB mechanic before you buy, but a Salvage title is one to avoid, for sure...
HTH,
RSalles
Hameed wrote:

speaking of a 300e there is a 1993 mb 300 for sale in norman ok for $1450.
ad says no reverse.
how much to fix transmission?
j.
cognite tute wrote:

If it doesn't go in reverse, how much else is broken? $1450 for a car that needs a new transmission is highway robbery. $450 would be a more reasonable price to pay.
-tom!
Tom Plunket wrote:

Well, if it was anything like my '91 200E that didn't "like" to go into reverse except when persuated gently, earlier this year, it may not require a complete overhaul, (see threads below) but it shoud be kept in mind that most (?) things start to wear out at that age.
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php?p 3365
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t 5616&highlight=w124+reverse
The troubeshooting guide is for a newer box but the principles are the same.
http://w126.pp.ru/akp722.pdf
Mechanic didn't see any metal bits, did the fluid and filter change first. No improvement. so crossed fingers and checked the brake bands and the pistons. Ended up overhauling B3 piston and adjusted the working pressure, and it's fine now.
But it did have me biting my nails.
Cheers, WS
--
change to leews to mail

did that at one point... turns out it was a shift linkage at the tranny. Cost around $300 (don't remember exactly anymore) to mig weld and voila fixed the lack of reverse problem.
cheers, guenter
Cost about $1800 installedfor rebuilt transmission... Used tranny and install is around $1000 if you are lucky or lower if you install yourself.
cognite tute wrote:

I thought $1450 was way too high also.
Thanks, will look elsewhere
j.