Is it wise to buy a 1991 300E?

I haven't owned a Benz before but I know they are very nice cars but I also know that they cost alot to repair and the average mechanic won't work on them.

So, this car is for sale: ===================

1991 BENZ 300E 116k RUNS GOOD LOOKS BEUTIFULL, CARS HAS A SALVAGE TITLE. ===================

Is that model year good or bad? I will check the issue of the salvage title of course but is there anything that I need to look for in this particular year. In general, is this car easy to work on or not? Is it an interference engine i.e. if Timing belt brakes it is almost gone?

Reply to
Hameed

Don't bother with salvage titled car... not worth the hassle.

Reply to
Tiger

Don't buy a car with a salvage title. There's no shortage of cars so why buy a compromise?

The model is a well known one and liked by owners. M-B doesn't use timing belts, only timing chains which can also break but typically only after 2x or 3x the life of a belt.

Many owners do their own maintenance and repairs; parts for the volume models, like E300 E320 are widely available on line so don't be shy about DIY maintenance and repairs.

Find a nice car with a regular title and be happy.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

On Sep 25, 2:10 pm, "-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
mobi

speaking of a 300e there is a 1993 mb 300 for sale in norman ok for $1450.

ad says no reverse.

how much to fix transmission?

j.

Reply to
cognite tute

If it doesn't go in reverse, how much else is broken? $1450 for a car that needs a new transmission is highway robbery. $450 would be a more reasonable price to pay.

-tom!

Reply to
Tom Plunket

Cost about $1800 installedfor rebuilt transmission... Used tranny and install is around $1000 if you are lucky or lower if you install yourself.

Reply to
Tiger

Well, if it was anything like my '91 200E that didn't "like" to go into reverse except when persuated gently, earlier this year, it may not require a complete overhaul, (see threads below) but it shoud be kept in mind that most (?) things start to wear out at that age.

The troubeshooting guide is for a newer box but the principles are the same.

Mechanic didn't see any metal bits, did the fluid and filter change first. No improvement. so crossed fingers and checked the brake bands and the pistons. Ended up overhauling B3 piston and adjusted the working pressure, and it's fine now.

But it did have me biting my nails.

Cheers, WS

Reply to
ws

.... I'd say depends on what the problem is. Case in point, mine did that at one point... turns out it was a shift linkage at the tranny. Cost around $300 (don't remember exactly anymore) to mig weld and voila fixed the lack of reverse problem.

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

I thought $1450 was way too high also.

Thanks, will look elsewhere

j.

Reply to
cognite tute

Plus the advertiser can't spell even elementary words. Would one want to buy from someone like that?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling