IS THIS NORMAL?

92 190E 2.6, Driving along at 70 mph, I raised the windows and switched on the A/C. It was as if the car went into a lower gear when the compressor engaged and I could actually feel the load on the
engine so I switched it back off. No squealing belts or unusual noises. System was just recharged. A/C was unused since last summer, last checked in April was blowing cool... also noticed,...... After last weeks recharge, air from vents was a damp cold, now feels drier, not as cold There is a freon leak somewhere, but what else should I be looking for?
Probably a leak... the feeling of losing enigne power is NORMAL.
Hard to say. I would take it back to the shop and have them check the pressure first to verify that you did not lose the freon. I was having some problems with the AC on my 190E 2.6. Loss of power on hot days going uphill with the AC on. AC not being very cold. Upon heavy extended acceleration heated air was coming from the side vents. R12 charge was OK. I checked all the vacuum lines and found a crack in the rubber boot that connects the check valve to the hard plastic vacuum line by the fuse box. Once I fixed that everything is back to normal. I presume that the load on the compressor and alternator due to the system heating and cooling at the same time caused the significant loss in power. Everything seems fine now with only a little power loss when the AC runs. Peter