iso replacement engine for 81 300D

I have an 81 300D (non-turbo) with a blown engine. Research online has shown me that this is a '617.912' engine, common to the following models:
78-81 300CD
77-81 300D 79-81 300TD Wagon (only listed as 617.912 in 1 of the 3 online resources I saw)
some questions: 1. Do I have any other options other than the 617.912 engine? there are other 617 series out there, would these fit with minor mods? 2. Can anyone recommend a good source for used engines? I remember last year finding an online classified/board of some sort that listed engines by mileage, all were good used compression tested engines. cant find it for the life of me now.
please reply on-list, the email addy I provided is a dupe (I'm spam-phobic ;))
thanks, jamie

You ACTUALLY need a 1980 or 1981 engine, and NOT a 1981 wagon which has a turbo.
I think I have a couple, if you are anywhere near Atlantic City,
FYI www.nospam.com is a valid URL, which is why I selected what I did. Doesn't mean you'll get spam but it's just a teeny bit closer, maybe.
DAS