It's been fun, but farewell.

I just got the news from my mechanic that my 300D needs a new transmission. This is the third time in 18 months that he's told me this. The second time the replacement was still under warranty, but this
time it's out of warranty, so I'm afraid that after 275,000 miles, I'm not going to flush good money after bad.
There aren't any 300Ds around here for sale (and besides, there's only one good mechanic within 75 miles of "Forgottonia" that anyone trusts to work on Benzes), so after five years I guess I'm done with these great cars - at least for now.
Thanks so much to all of you who are willing to share your expertise (Tiger, T.G, et all) and best of luck keeping your wheels rolling!
Sadly,
terry solomonson
I am sorry to hear that Terry... Where did you get your tranny redone at? If you only done it recently, it must be a simple fix... Let us help you.
One morning the tranny just wouldn't go into forward. Reverse was fine, but you could feel the bands slipping and the car inching ahead, so sure- I figured an easy band adjustment and that's it... According to Kauth and Mayeur in Peoria, IL there is"something broken internally" in the transmission and it must be replaced. Last time it was around $1500 to install a used one.
I've been going to these guys for almost 20 years, but last year they sold out to somebody else - same mechanics, though...
Yes, it was done recently, but I drive over 30,000 miles a year - so the tranny had well over 40K on it when it went out.
Tiger wrote:

Every time I got a used transmission I was sorry. http://www.germantransmission.net/Tranisite/mercedes.htm For nearly the same amount you could have gotten re-built.
-Kent
The estimate was twice that for a rebuilt. Of course they were talking to my wife at the time, and every time she gets an estimate for repair work it's twice as much. Food for thought.
Kent_Diego wrote:

You should be able to find local shop that will do transmission swap for $150-250. $1250 for rebuilt transmission. And shipping ($100 guess) both ways, $200. That would be $1700 total. http://www.germantransmission.net/Tranisite/mercedes.htm . I spent more than that for my exhaust system (380SEL).
-Kent
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:44:55 -0800, "Kent_Diego"

Adsitco has rebuilts for $1,200...1 year/unlimited miles warranty and 2 years if you buy the torque convertor as well
Mmm.. no forward gear.. means your seals are shot. Sorry to hear that... I would never install a used tranny unless I have to.