jumpy speedo in 91 190E

Hi everyone!
Just wanted to share, that I figured it out. Have had a jumpy speedometer needle on cold days...
I was NOT the cable. I took the speedo apart, discovered the grease beeing
very hard and old.
So I cleaned everything and re-greased all moving parts.
Problem went away...good? right ? :O)
Just sharing,
Alex
I'll have to check my speedo bearing when I pull my cluster to fix a jumpy speedo and innacurate tach. Thanks for the tip!
Mike 87 300D

I wouldn't admit to 'pulling your cluster' on the internet, you never know who may be watching :-)
DD
Your're right!
You know what...I have a brand new 92 cluster from a wrecked car with 18K miles on it...
put it in just for the fun....but took it out quickly again....my 160K miles look more mature...
and very proud of it.
working on the 200k Alex
Newsbeitrag

jumpy
know
Are you implying I would FRAUD my own car, which I plan to keep until it dies? What would you reccomend when I have a jumpy speedo, innacurate tach, and snot all over the instrument cluster window?
Come on guys, paranoia...
Mike

jumpy
know
Mike "Rotor" Nowak wrote:

Depends on your definition of fraud.
Follow-ups to: alt.sec.mercedes
I read somewhere this is caused by the grease in the speedo drying out.
The fix is just to take it apart, clean it, and re-grease it.
...eheem!yeah!
that was my original posting :O)
eheem...regreased it!
Alex

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 20:04:32 +0100

Did you have to release the speedo cable at the gearbox or is there enough playroom at the dash after pulling the cluster out?
BR
Helar
Most people pull the left side vent and reach behind the cluster to pull the speedo cable. Then after pulling all the lights and plugs, what I do is cut the one wire going down for the outside temp gauge and I put a bullet connector as a splice when I reconnected it. That way you don't have to pull the knee pad or lower dash area. Should take you all of 10 minutes after you learn all the tricks. The temp sensor still works fine after splicing the wire. KH

Thank you.
Helar