Junkyard sources for ignition cylinder/housing

Someone I know was given a 78 280SE (W116). Main reason (so I am told) is the P.O. broke the ignition key in the cylinder and tried to take it out the Homer Simpson way. As a result, the broke it, tried to bypass it but never figured out the wires, and gave up. If that entire mechanism is to be replaced (not only the cylinder itself but also the housing), what would be good candidates as donors so he knows what to look for in his next junkyard shopping adventures?

Also, does anyone have the pinout (with wire colours) for the ignition column thingie and the neutral safety switch for that car?

Reply to
Mauricio Tavares

Just go to dealer to order it... it will match your existing keys.

Reply to
Tiger

How much would they go for?

Reply to
Mauricio Tavares

Looking over your original post... What I would do is get a complete ignition unit from junkyard... with the harness plug attaches... ask them to give you at least 6" of wires from the harness plug so you can splice it. It is also important they also have the key to that ignition lock.

Then I'd swap out tumbler withe one from dealer that matches the VIN of your car. This part is like $40.

The complete lock and tumbler to match your car from dealer would be around $200... but dealer could order new harness plug for you if you like.

Reply to
Tiger