keep or sell E320 wagon

I am looking for input. I have a 1998 E320 wagon with 195K miles. The car runs well but I have been told by my mechanic that I need to replace the motor mounts and shifter bushings. I did this about two- three years ago ( with another mechanic). I have driven BMWs ( 1 car for 10+ years) before and never experienced the constant repairs that I have on this car. It seems it is always something. things I never had to repair on other cars. Is Also, I could use more room as my family has recently expanded. Should I keep the car and maintain it ( roughly $1500 a year, assuming nothing major) or try to sell? is this a lemon? At what point do you, let it go?

Reply to
mercerhouse

The motor mounts and shift bushing shouldn't cost much to replace. Beyond that, we don't know what your repair history has been.

Just to show you that BMW's may not be so reliable, a friend has a

2002 X5. Right after the 5yr/50K warranty was up, he had the drivers side rear window just fall down and break while sitting in the driveway. They use some kind of cable to hold the window up and it just broke. $600 Less than a year later, the same thing happened on the passenger rear side. $600. Now, you would think BMW would at least offer to pay for part of the repair on the second one, because this is so rare, it's obvious there was some manufacturing defect. They refused. Also, a week after the 5/50 warranty expired, while doing a brake job, discovered that the driver side CV boot was torn. Few months later, same thing on other side. At the same time, the rubber intake boot split. That so much happened to these similar rubber boot type components suggest to me that they have a problem with their rubber supplier.

In the end, with your car, for me it would depend on what my total repair history has been, what you could get for the car, if you would replace it and be happier with something new, etc. If you can't get much for it and are fairly happy with it, I probably would fix it and keep driving.

Reply to
trader4

It really depends... I find MB to be very reliable and rarely needs to fix anything major. The question is about economy now... can you afford new car/suv? If not, then you have to keep it.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks for the advice. I'm weighing my options on a possible trade.

Reply to
mercerhouse

I appreciate the post. I'm considering my options with a possible trade. Thanks.

Reply to
mercerhouse