King pin removal 309D

Any hints on removing king pins from a T1 van? I've pressed one out very easily, the other one remains tighter than nun's you know what.

Reply to
Roger

Penetrating oil for a couple of days.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

You've tried a blowtorch, right?

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I'd advise AGAINST applying heat to the forged parts as it will permanently weaken them. Disposable items OK, no problem but not the axle!

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I've always been a bit wary about to much heat on axles, but the refitting instructions advise that the knuckles and axle have to be heated to

220C (light straw colour) to fit the bushes and king pins. So I guess Merc have done the testing.

The penetrating oil does not seem to have worked, and a six tonne press has not shifted it.

I've decided to pull the axle completely off the vehicle and use my 12 tonne press on it, I've stuffed around too long on it already.

Reply to
Roger