Knocking noise from underneath when going over small bumps

I have just purchased an E220 Cdi (1999) and I'm hearing knocking noises when I go over the smallest of bumps. It seems to be coming more from the passenger side, and from the front. I've heard this noise many times when
I've got into a neglected minicab.
Has anyone any ideas on what it could be?
Thanking you in advance.
Check the exhaust system rubber grommets/mounts. I had a similar issue on my Sl320. One of the rubber supports at the cartalytic converter was gone and the other one was stretched allowing the pipe to move around quite a bit. I replaced them all and problem is gone.
Peter

Thanks Peter. . I'll go to an exhause place today and see if they can see anyting.
Fingers crossed!
Unfortunately it wasn't the exhaust mountings. Took it to Kwik-Fit who lifted it up and wabbled the exhaust about, and no noises.
Never mind. . .off to a garage I think.
Thanks

Ball Joints?
Marty
Just got the car back from the Mercedes Garage. . ."Anti Roll Bar Bushes" 15 parts (both sides), 115 labour!
Thanks Everyone