Knocking noise from underneath when going over small bumps

I have just purchased an E220 Cdi (1999) and I'm hearing knocking noises when I go over the smallest of bumps. It seems to be coming more from the passenger side, and from the front. I've heard this noise many times when I've got into a neglected minicab.

Has anyone any ideas on what it could be?

Thanking you in advance.

Reply to
ps-master

Check the exhaust system rubber grommets/mounts. I had a similar issue on my Sl320. One of the rubber supports at the cartalytic converter was gone and the other one was stretched allowing the pipe to move around quite a bit. I replaced them all and problem is gone.

Peter

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

Thanks Peter. . I'll go to an exhause place today and see if they can see anyting.

Fingers crossed!

Reply to
ps-master

Ball Joints?

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Unfortunately it wasn't the exhaust mountings. Took it to Kwik-Fit who lifted it up and wabbled the exhaust about, and no noises.

Never mind. . .off to a garage I think.

Thanks

Reply to
ps-master

Just got the car back from the Mercedes Garage. . ."Anti Roll Bar Bushes" £15 parts (both sides), £115 labour!

Thanks Everyone

Reply to
ps-master