Kompressor, Super or TurboCharger?

anyone know? anyone feelo one way or the other about the above variants of shoving air into the cylinders?

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

If you are asking what a Konpressor is, it's a supercharger.

Using both methods is best. Super charging works better at low RPM.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

many thanks, local salesman didn't seem to be quite sure. VW/Audi seem to be using the turbocharger and the 'lag' is annoying making me think that the engine needs a tune up. I've never heard of a car using both, do any come to mind?

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

I can't think of any mass-production cars that use both a turbocharger and a supercharger.

Turbochargers have the capability to generate a lot more boost and ultimately make more power than superchargers. It's also a lot easier to fit an intercooler to a turbocharger or a centrifugal supercharger.

The drawback to turbos is that they take a moment to "spool up" when you press the throttle, and if the engine doesn't have enough torque on its own before the turbocharger spools up, you can get a pretty noticeable lag.

If I were building a performance engine from the ground up, I'd make it large enough that it had enough torque even without forced induction, and then I'd also put a turbocharger on it for more power.

For smaller production engines, superchargers are nice because they generate boost constantly, with no "lag" when you apply the throttle.

Reply to
Scott Gardner

I can think of two straight off - one version of the Lancia Delta Integrale, and a current production VW 1.4l, but I can't remember what they call it. Makes something like 175 hp from 1.4l with quite good fuel mileage, but the potential repair costs boggle the mind!

Kevin Rhodes Westbrook ME

Reply to
Kevin Rhodes

Kevin, you are absolutely correct ... was in germany over summer and remember reading about the new Golf 'TSI' that uses a 1.4 l engine and has twin chargers - turbo and super - along with 'direct injection (however that is different from the fuel injection already in place) .... looks very interesting indeed!

cheers

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

VW FSI engine is a direct injection petrol engine and has been sold over several years.

So, direct injection is not a new thing here.

Reg: Harri

Reply to
Harri Markkula