Late Shifting, 300D auto-transmission

Just got this 300TD with 200,000 miles on it. The tranny was overhauled about 60,000 miles ago. Seems to me the transmission is quite late in shifting. The engine is revving beyond the shift marks on the speedometer. I usually have to let off on the accelerator to get it to shift earlier.

Anyone know where the linkage adjustments are?

Thanks, R.

Reply to
richard wagner via CarKB.com

Sounds like a vacuum leak.

Chris

Reply to
ChrisH

You failed to say what year so this suggestion is for an early '80s model. At the top rear of the engine is the transmission's pressure rod (or cable) connection to the throttle linkage. If its disconnected the transmission will up shift very quickly and at low speeds. Your car seems to be the opposite.

The adjustment of the pressure rod (or cable) is to pop its ball socket off of its attachment pin on the throttle linkage at the top rear of the engine. Gently pull the rod (or cable) to its maximum and gently release it. The resulting position will be its "natural position".

The adjustment is correct if you can then reattach the pressure rod's ball socket to its pin WITHOUT moving the rod (or cable). But if that's not possible rod's length should be adjusted so it CAN be attached without movement from its natural position. If a cable, the adjustment is made on the nut that secures the cable - the outer case is moved and the inner core follows.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Many thanks for your expert advice. The car is a 1980 300TD and the Rod was adjusted to it's minimum length. I measured the overall length and bent the rod into a more pronounced S curve then adjusted the threads to make it shorter than when removed by 3 thurns. This has improved the condition by a great lot. Will be doing some more testing on the next trip to a level highway. Thanks again. Richard