Leaking Fuel Filter or Pump

190E 2.6 1992: Just pulled cover, to replace fuel filter and found a cruddy mess inside. Dual fuel pumps right, fuel accumulator left, fuel filter center. Fuel outlet fittings facing rear, are white with corrosion, as in fuel leak, as is the bottom of the cover, bleached like, oily and greasy. Looks like the fiter has been leaking for quite a while, I'd say at the copper seal,.. the fuel pumps are oily and dirty so hard to tell if leaking there. Early tomorrow I plan to... disconnect battery,.. then use brake cleaner to carefully spray clean, and wipe entire area have new copper seals for new filter, (last changed at 81000) any tips, or cautions, greatly appreciated, mileage now 135000
Reply to
r parris

You definitely need those copper washers to put in new filter. You have to crimp the biggest fuel line to prevent the gas tank from emptying completely onto you.

If for some reason you still have leak after new seals, you need aviation form-a-gasket... put some on both side of the washer and reinsert it... just do the one that is leaking.

Reply to
Tiger

Washers? I only recieved, one, when buying the fuel filter, should there be two stacked together? Thanks for reply! I am told to also pinch, (c clamp) the fuel filter outlet hose, and remove gas cap to relieve pressure. Check?

Reply to
r parris

Double check how many washer are on the old one... alot of time... it is more than one... I just don't remember on 190E's

Reply to
Tiger