Leaking Fuel injector?? (Ping: Tiger?)

Re: 98 ML320....

For some odd reason, I stalled the other day - as I slowed down, approaching a red light, AC, Radio, all on, etc....

Put ML in park, started right up.. light turned green, drove with windows open, nothing going,.. not even the radio....all was fine for the remainder of the 30 minute trip...

Following day, another hot day in NJ, drove about 3 miles, parked ML.. hung around Relay for an hour, went to ML - would not start - AT ALL..tried a good 10 times, crank, crank, crank, nothing.. battery is good and strong, no turnover...

Hours later that evening, started right up and it's now in my driveway, untouched, for almost a week - I don't want to drive it.. (not til Monday, half hour trip to mechanic...)

Now I do have a suspicion that since the MAF has been replaced, maybe the crankshaft sensor is next.. there are times, cold, it takes 2 times to start...so I feel that might be a given...

But in googling, I found a thread, same issues, stalling, where Tiger mentioned leaky fuel injector, when hot... Seems eerily similar...

Not only that, but I noticed that some of the components, near the washer reservoir, are 'wet'... never saw that before... the reservoir has been replaced (of course, we all know this issue) and is not leaking...

Could this be a leaky injector??? Would it be spraying around? Also, if so, is this hard, expensive, etc??? Thanks for any insight before I go in on Monday!

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

It could be leaky injector... easy way to tell is when you pull out the spark plug, the leaky injector one would be fouled... but not always.

Be sure your MAF is good... it is very important. Also check if your O2 sensor are good... easily checked by OBD2 scanner.

Reply to
Tiger

Thank you Tiger.. curious, how hard is it to replace the crankshaft sensor???

Tiger wrote:

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

Crankshaft sensor really depends on the location. Typical MB location is on the transmission housing... real pain in the butt. But the good news is that it rarely ever go bad.

Check with ML forum on Benzworld to see if it is a common problem and what is the common solution.

Reply to
Tiger

The reason why a leaking injector may cause har start when hot, is that fuel pressure drops allowing gas to evaporate in the fuel system (fuel rail in particular), which again causes wrong fuel mixture until vapours are away. But it will most likely start eventually .

As Tiger says, look at the spark plugs to see if one is fouled.

And make sure MAF is OK, since it is the primary sensor for correct mixture. O2 sensor only plays a role a while after start (Tiger - correct me if wrong).

It could also be an ignition problem. Anything from the crank shaft sensor to the spark plugs.

Reply to
Jens

Crankshat sensor replaced... started right up.. (usually needs 2 starts...)

fingers crossed, thanks all!

Jens wrote:

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie