Leaking fuel tank

I have a 1981 300TD wagon. I filled it up last night, and for the first time I topped it off. When I came out later to drive it, it looked like fuel was leaking from the tank. I have heard that some of
the older mercedes have what amount to a hole in the top of the fuel tank to alleviate any overfilling. Does anyone know if that is true? Please respond to my email. Thanks!
More likely than not the leak is from an old rubber hose to the tank that needs to be replaced.