leaky headgasket

My 1985 380SE was in the shop for a water pump and fan clutch, and while it was in, my dad had called them asking them to make sure it was safe to drive
(meaning it won't collapse on me - since it has a ball joint that they said to put off for 5000 miles, and after 5000 miles they again said it could go another 5000 - but they took it to mean find every little nitpicky thing). Anyways, so they gave me a list of every little thing wrong with the car and in that list is "left head gasket has a small leak" So my question is, what does this mean for me in the future? What stuff should I be looking for to know when this progresses beyond a small leak and turns into it needs a new head gasket? Even though the mechanic didn't think it was a big deal, would I be wise to fix this sooner than later? And, on a scale of 1-10, with oil change being a 1, brake pad change being a 2, tranny fluid change being a 3, fuel injectors being a 6, and I haven't yet done anything I classify higher than a 6, how hard would it be to change the head gasket myself? Thanks, Richard
Don't change the headgasket unless you are losing coolant via headgasket as in consumption. External oil leak... if minor, leave it alone.
Extremely tedious and long hard work to replace the headgasket.. alot of things can go wrong... bolts breaking, threads ruined... need I go on? You only do this when you are ready to do a head job... unless you are losing major coolant via consumption.
Ok, then, AFAIK I haven't been losing any coolant to the head gasket, maybe 1/4 expansion tank worth over the 2 years coolant lasts. I picked up my car last night after working hours of the shop, and this morning I opened my hood and found green coolant...dammit. Richard

The coolant you see is probably due to the water pump being replaced. Make sure that the radiator hoses, etc. have been reconnected correctly.

No i mean, dammit because they used green coolant, not the proper orangey-pink. Richard