Leaky Trunk

1999 C280, If I leave it out in the rain..water leaks in on the gas filler side and wets the floor of the trunk. I cannot find any wet areas on the trunk lid or sides. It does not seem to happen If the car is moving.

Any thoughts as th how to solve this problem other than not leaving the car out in the rain?

BTW for the Brits the trunk is the Boot, and gas is Petrol :^).

Thanks,

EJ in NJ

Reply to
Ernie Willson

I had that problem on my old 380SE... I thought it was the trunk leaking... but it is not. It was rust on that small poicket on side of the trunk... gap is big that when driving... it fills that cavity and drains out via the drainhole...

It could be in your case, but I wouldn't bet on it... Best bet is to use garden hose to force the leak and find it...

Reply to
Tiger

Hi, I'm sure there can be a number of causes. In my case it was rust that had formed around the window, below the rubber and the water would leak under the seal.... I forced a bunch of RTV between the rubber seal and glass. It worked for quite a while

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

It drives some Brits crazy that we call it gas when it is a liquid.

They call the hood a bonnet. I tell my British car enthusiast friends: Real men don't drive cars with bonnets. That gets them riled up.

Reply to
Commuter

.... what I can't figure out is why the Germans call gas 'Benzine' ... sounds an awful lot like the organic liquid Benzene of the aromatic 6-C ring type. Of course the two have nothin in common other than being an organic compound.

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Why? You think petroleum molecules do not contain the benzene and related rings?

BTW, the German is "Benzin" (no 'e' on end, of course).

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling