learning the ways of the mercedes masters :)

to all that make this board so great, i have a question..

what is an accepted way to start learning about cars (in my case mercedes) from real mechanics?

i am willing to work for little money part time helping out so i can learn. is this ever done besides father son, ect?

i just don't know if i want to go to a 2 year school. i would rather learn from a master mechanic.

Reply to
mike

besides this board of coarse :)

Reply to
mike

Get Tiger to send you his future videos!

Reply to
robrjt

If one wants to be a mechanic (or anything in life) one needs a credential. Mechanics have ASE Certification, doctors have MD degrees, scientists PhDs etc. That's what's needed to get in the front door!

Yes you can "make a living" without a credential but one is often at a disadvantage as others with the credential jump in front those without the credential. A secondary, cap-in-hand position isn't a winner - ever.

A youthful shortcut will relegate a lifetime of work to second class wages. That's not what you wanted to read but is the truth so don't take that shortcut. Mercedes and all cars are increasingly complex and beyond may of us who grew up in the 1950s and easily understand those simple, old cars. That's history, your life is the future don't shun the future act to take advantage of its opportunities. There's currently a shortage of automobile mechanics - my local M-B dealer even seeks mechanics in its mailings to us owners!

Cars are not the only mechanic jobs. Diesel mechanics, construction equipment, air conditioning (auto, and commercial) railroads, aircraft engines and aircraft all require certified mechanics. An FAA certified mechanic is a good job.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

thanks for the advice!

that makes a whole lot of sense.

what is a good school to check out in the philly area?

thnx again. :)

Reply to
mike

LOL... I am just a hobbyist... I basically tore apart my first car... a MB!

Seems like Mike wants to learn to fix the car for a living. I would first start off learning at a technical school. Lincoln Tech has a good program. Study hard... it is actually a fun school but grade is important if you want to get in MB field.

MB has technical school... but no where near Philly... but is worth considering if you got good grades.

Tiger