license plate lights stay on

Just noticed that the license plate lights stay on even after you turn the ingnition off (and take the key out). Aren't these supposed to be wired to the curcuit for the lights? The only other work that was recently done was a new radio install, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. Let me know if you guys know what to check. Will have to check the wiring diagrams on the W124 repair manual CD. Also have a digital multimeter but am just not that great at troubleshooting electrical yet. Car is my 300TE wagon. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
ptempel

Make sure your headlight switch is straight up as in off position.

It is probably your headlight switch bad if you can't fix it.

Car stereo guy could have messed it up so make them fix it first.

Reply to
Tiger

Was thinking of replacing the license plate bulbs and cleaning the ground connection in the hatch (if there is any). Interesting that you mention the headlight switch. I guess I could test it by disconnecting the wires to it or maybe by turning it slightly so it's between off and on and see if the license plate lights go out?

Reply to
ptempel

[...]

I replaced the license plate bulbs and it started working correctly after that. Not sure why it fixed it. Maybe one of the older bulbs was creating a short? Well, anyway problem solved. :-)

Reply to
ptempel

Was too early on the resolution. The plate lights are back on today, unfortunately. Will wait for the lamp control module (LCM) and see of that will fix it.

Reply to
ptempel