Linkage problem?

Could replacing the shifter bushings cause a problem with the transmission linkage? A few weeks ago I had the shifter bushings replaced on my wife's
'95 E320. Today she told me that the car seemed to slip out of gear (engine would rev, but not go until she moved the shifter to park and then back to drive).
Josh
It is possible... although majority of time, no one ever adjust the linkage even just chanigng the bushing... unless someone bent the linkage.
Any other ideas what this might be if the linkage is not a real possibility from the bushing replacement?
I just went out and tested it and indeed it did slip into "neutral" from 1st after warming up. If you rev the engine the car moves - albeit slowly. Then if I shift to reverse and back to drive it works. I checked the fluid and it is nice and red - but it is showing a bit low. Warmed up it was not within range of the >80< indicator but rather on the high side of the >30< marks. Could this be the culprit? What ATF is the appropriate, and is it OK to use an additive that could help free a potentially sticking valve?
Josh
Dextron III is the ATF to use. I prefer Valvoline brand for the regular Dextron ATF.
Sounds like your linkage could be maladjusted. Since you had the bushings replaced... go back to the mechanic and tell him to fix it.
This morning I drove the car around for a while until it warmed up, let it idle, and then re-tested. It was below the "low" mark for 80C. So I added around 1/4 quart of ATF, drove it a bit, and now it is high. Am I missing some part of measuring the ATF after adding?
Josh
Engine at operating temp... measure the ATF level. Car must be on level surface.
No need to continue to drive after filling. You have to let the car idle for a few minutes before taking another measurement.
I re-tested it today and it was spot on. Not sure why it showed a difference, but I'll keep an eye on it.
Josh
Those dipstick for ATF are tricky... just like oil dipstick... if you see like one sided oil level instead of across the entire dipstick, then those readings are not accurate as there was oil splash or oil in the tube that affected the reading.