locking gascap?

I need to find a locking gascap (dieselcap? :) for an '82 300D and an '83

300D. I've exhausted my normal parts sources.

Any suggestions on a supplier??

Reply to
Ron Tellus

There may be a reason these are hard to find. I don't think they're needed - at least my '81 locks fine - has a small plunger hooked to the door lock vacuum that locks the cover. When you lock the doors, a pin slides into a small tab with a hole on the cover piece - did they discontinue this in 82/83? Or was it an option?

Do you have a small hole in the body opposite the hinge side of the cover and a tab with a small hole in it on the cover? If so, maybe you can add the vacuum plunger/pin (and a foot or so of vacuum line) to yours. Since the vacuum bottle is in the trunk on these cars, it should be easy to connect to.

Conrad

Reply to
Conrad

I don't think you're going to find one since there would be almost no market for anyone manufacturing such a product. All of these vehicles came with the vacuum lock on the fuel door. If your door locks work your fuel door lock should as well. If not you need some work chasing down leaks in the vacuum system. I bought a repair manual from

and itwas very helpful. I also bought a small hand-operated vacuum pump from PepBoys for about $35 to do the complete job. My problem was one of the vacuumdiaphrams which operate the the door locks but found a new one for $22locally. Good luck!

Reply to
Ernie Sparks