Looked at the 07 S550.

Page 1 of 3
Gotta turn it down. To get it equiped like I want it would cost about $93000. And the seat is realy not as comfortable as my 10 year old S420. The new one may be safer to drive. But the window glass is thiner
and it sounds louder to me. Of course the seat coolers are nice even if not very effective. And the ac is still weak compared to the $10k amerikan kars. The clincher is that you have to take the 18" narrow-rim rapper-bling type tires. These burn off in about 15,000 miles. They cost about 1500 for a new set installed, balanced, and taxed. So that is a dime a mile for tires compared to my current approximate tire cost of 1/4 cents per mile!!! Even if I do have the money, that just seems like standing out in the parking lot pouring money down the drain. And I am not going to do it! With the current condition of the airlines you can't fly commercial. So we want to take a road trip through the west. Which means we would have to stop and put tires on during the trip!!! That is just not right for a car that costs that much. I currently get about 30 to 35000 miles on a set of H rated tires. So I know what these V or Z rated tires will do for me - about 15000 miles. Drat! The Lexii seem to have the same problem, and they say the BMWs do too. So it looks like I am back looking at the amerikan kars again. DRAT !!!!! I am not a bling bling rapper or drug dealer or gang shooter, so why do I have to drive their tires if I want a luxury car ???? NOT FAIR !!!!
mcbrue wrote:

mcbrue forgetfully under the bridge in the trailer down by the river
Ximinez
The Spanish Inquisition wrote:

Speaking of seats, I read a while back that Rolls Royce has the very best seats.
I do not know if that is true or not.
Perhaps it might be worth taking a look at Rolls, Bently and Maybach?
.
I agree.
McB. you forgot to mention the Gas Guzzler Tax on the S550.
I'm considering a new car and am not finding what I want in the "sports sedans" with their options packages of a, b, c & d when one only wants b. M-B used to offer an attractive options selection, no longer. This is cram down marketing.
Sadly, the '07 E350 has a mandatory sunroof and 17" wheels with thinner tires than last year ensuring a harsher ride and more tire wear.
I'm disappointed in the '07 models, so I'm mulling a used '06 S430 for about $60K instead.
T.G. Lambach wrote:

eBay seems to have many of those 2006 S-Class models offered less than asking price.
That is very particularly true about the option packages and model selections. I was disappointed that Mercedes-Benz of USA omitted C230 SportCoup from 2006 model year when I was ready to buy one. Don't get me started about how SportCoup look. They are quite popular in Denver and San Francisco. And the parking is murderous in San Francisco so it's lot easier with smaller profile than C230 Sedan.
Mercedes-Benz of USA is focussing too much on the high-end products and bottom line than what the market truly wants.
OM wrote:

Oh, please! What you mean is that MBUSA is not focusing enough on what YOU want. Dealer's couldn't give those nasty little coupes away. THAT's why MBUSA stopped importing them.
How about double glazed windows? http://www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com/lo-band/phantom_exterior_acoustics.htm
.
mcbrue wrote:

The W140 chassis S class had these. They're great until you have to replace them. $$$$$.
On 2006-08-28 09:49:47 -0700, "greek_philosophizer"

Yes, that looks nice... I don't see a "buy now" button on that web page though ;~)

Hmm, a brand new S-class for only $93.000. I would not hessitate buying that car one minute. Paid more than 110.000$ for my 2005 C-class...
--
Best regards
Martin Kiefer
"Martin Kiefer" < snipped-for-privacy@kiefer.dk> wrote in message
news:44f46f5c$0$2085$ snipped-for-privacy@dtext02.news.tele.dk...
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

AFAIK, NL has the cheapest car prices, because we pay 40% tax on top of that.
Ximinez
When I did my research in 2000 DE was the cheapest among the countries mentioned (FR, BE, NL, DE). I am not saying there was a big gap. In the end I also managed to knock a few thousand marks of the list price, partly because I have a nice smile and partly because delivery suddenly got delayed by a few months.
DAS
"The Spanish Inquisition" < snipped-for-privacy@myown.mailcan.com> wrote in message
news:44f49a1c$0$4530$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xsall.nl...

Actually Mercedes is a bit different than older makers regarding this. Mercedes prices in Denmark is not that different than the prices in Germany before any taxes is added. You do not save that much when buying the car in Denmark compared to other countries.
--
Best regards
Martin Kiefer
DAS
"Martin Kiefer" < snipped-for-privacy@kiefer.dk> wrote in message
news:44f49abf$0$2088$ snipped-for-privacy@dtext02.news.tele.dk...
If I remember correctly, the tax on 2007 S500 is 180%, according to the official Mercedes-Benz price guide for Denmark. I understand that the Danish importers are doing everything to reduce the cost and taxation. I did some of comparison shopping between Germany and Denmark. The saving was about 5% which is probably not worth my trouble of travelling to Denmark; ordering one; waiting for one to arrive at the sales centre; travelling back to Denmark; exporting it back to Germany; having a word with the German custom officers; sorting the paperwork to obtain German registration, TV approval, and numberplates; and so on...
Martin Kiefer wrote:

That is correct. But do also remeber the 25% sales tax that is added before the 180% tax...

You will see that all that can be added as after sales will be added after the car has been sold by the dealer. If you for example buy the Comand system. It will cost you 12.500 USD if you buy it from the factory. If you get it installed later it will pretty much cost the same as if you bought it any were else in the world. Just added the 25% tax.

I would no go that way either if I was living in Germany. But some do. My local dealer has just sold 1 CLS and 2 CLK going to Germany.
--
Best regards
Martin Kiefer
Martin Kiefer wrote:

A 280CDI M class.
America is ready for those now.
You are joking about the C class price? Taxes cannot be that bad.
.
meddelelse

Yes my wife bought this car ealier this year. We had been waiting since last fall before it finally arrived :-) Please notice that the license plates are yellow. This means that the car did not cost more than 80.000$. but then you have to remove the back seats...Otherwise the car would have a price tag saying 250.000 usd ... Yes we have a really strange tax system...

Will you get the CDI versions?

Not joking, first you have the basic price, then you add 25% sales tax, then you add 180% extra tax. finally you have paid the car 3 times before it is yours.
I was standing in Stuttgart this summer looking at a brand new S-320 CDI that did cost exactly the same in Germany as i paid for my C180 in Denmark. so do not complain about car prices. BTW we pay 1$ pr liter regular gasoline (5.6$ per gallon)..
Did I mention trhat we pay 1.000 to 1.500$ pr. year in "green" taxes for a Mercedes?
--
Best regards
Martin Kiefer
Martin Kiefer wrote:

Perhaps we should make a comparison of what a certain MB model would cost in our respective countries. Purchase price, taxes, insurance, fuel for a year etc...
Ximinez