Looked at the 07 S550.

Gotta turn it down. To get it equiped like I want it would cost about $93000. And the seat is realy not as comfortable as my 10 year old S420. The new one may be safer to drive. But the window glass is thiner and it sounds louder to me. Of course the seat coolers are nice even if not very effective. And the ac is still weak compared to the $10k amerikan kars. The clincher is that you have to take the 18" narrow-rim rapper-bling type tires. These burn off in about 15,000 miles. They cost about 1500 for a new set installed, balanced, and taxed. So that is a dime a mile for tires compared to my current approximate tire cost of 1/4 cents per mile!!! Even if I do have the money, that just seems like standing out in the parking lot pouring money down the drain. And I am not going to do it! With the current condition of the airlines you can't fly commercial. So we want to take a road trip through the west. Which means we would have to stop and put tires on during the trip!!! That is just not right for a car that costs that much. I currently get about 30 to 35000 miles on a set of H rated tires. So I know what these V or Z rated tires will do for me - about 15000 miles. Drat! The Lexii seem to have the same problem, and they say the BMWs do too. So it looks like I am back looking at the amerikan kars again. DRAT !!!!! I am not a bling bling rapper or drug dealer or gang shooter, so why do I have to drive their tires if I want a luxury car ???? NOT FAIR !!!!

Reply to
mcbrue

mcbrue forgetfully under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Speaking of seats, I read a while back that Rolls Royce has the very best seats.

I do not know if that is true or not.

Perhaps it might be worth taking a look at Rolls, Bently and Maybach?

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

I agree.

McB. you forgot to mention the Gas Guzzler Tax on the S550.

I'm considering a new car and am not finding what I want in the "sports sedans" with their options packages of a, b, c & d when one only wants b. M-B used to offer an attractive options selection, no longer. This is cram down marketing.

Sadly, the '07 E350 has a mandatory sunroof and 17" wheels with thinner tires than last year ensuring a harsher ride and more tire wear.

I'm disappointed in the '07 models, so I'm mulling a used '06 S430 for about $60K instead.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

eBay seems to have many of those 2006 S-Class models offered less than asking price.

That is very particularly true about the option packages and model selections. I was disappointed that Mercedes-Benz of USA omitted C230 SportCoupé from 2006 model year when I was ready to buy one. Don't get me started about how SportCoupé look. They are quite popular in Denver and San Francisco. And the parking is murderous in San Francisco so it's lot easier with smaller profile than C230 Sedan.

Mercedes-Benz of USA is focussing too much on the high-end products and bottom line than what the market truly wants.

Reply to
OM

How about double glazed windows?

.

mcbrue wrote:

Reply to
greek_philosophizer

The W140 chassis S class had these. They're great until you have to replace them. $$$$$.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Oh, please! What you mean is that MBUSA is not focusing enough on what YOU want. Dealer's couldn't give those nasty little coupes away. THAT's why MBUSA stopped importing them.

Reply to
Rob

"mcbrue" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@74g2000cwt.googlegroups.com...

Hmm, a brand new S-class for only $93.000. I would not hessitate buying that car one minute. Paid more than 110.000$ for my 2005 C-class...

Reply to
Martin Kiefer

Well, yes. Denmark. But your pre-tax price should be good. If it hadn't been so relatively easy for me to buy my last Merc in Germany I might have investigated Denmark. Belgium, France and NL were dearer than Germany.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

A 280CDI M class.

America is ready for those now.

You are joking about the C class price? Taxes cannot be that bad.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

"greek_philosophizer" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Yes my wife bought this car ealier this year. We had been waiting since last fall before it finally arrived :-) Please notice that the license plates are yellow. This means that the car did not cost more than 80.000$. but then you have to remove the back seats...Otherwise the car would have a price tag saying 250.000 usd ... Yes we have a really strange tax system...

Will you get the CDI versions?

Not joking, first you have the basic price, then you add 25% sales tax, then you add 180% extra tax. finally you have paid the car 3 times before it is yours.

I was standing in Stuttgart this summer looking at a brand new S-320 CDI that did cost exactly the same in Germany as i paid for my C180 in Denmark. so do not complain about car prices. BTW we pay 1½$ pr liter regular gasoline (5.6$ per gallon)..

Did I mention trhat we pay 1.000 to 1.500$ pr. year in "green" taxes for a Mercedes?

Reply to
Martin Kiefer

AFAIK, NL has the cheapest car prices, because we pay 40% tax on top of that.

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

"Dori A Schmetterling" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

Actually Mercedes is a bit different than older makers regarding this. Mercedes prices in Denmark is not that different than the prices in Germany before any taxes is added. You do not save that much when buying the car in Denmark compared to other countries.

Reply to
Martin Kiefer

Perhaps we should make a comparison of what a certain MB model would cost in our respective countries. Purchase price, taxes, insurance, fuel for a year etc...

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

"The Spanish Inquisition" skrev i en meddelelse news:44f49ad4$0$4530$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xsall.nl...

Could be interesting.

Reply to
Martin Kiefer

Look up the prices on the DC website and publish your table here....

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

When I did my research in 2000 DE was the cheapest among the countries mentioned (FR, BE, NL, DE). I am not saying there was a big gap. In the end I also managed to knock a few thousand marks of the list price, partly because I have a nice smile and partly because delivery suddenly got delayed by a few months.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

So why did (and maybe still do?) so many Germans go over the border (to DK) to save even on Golfs?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Well, looking at the current ('06) S500 here (SG), it costs SGD$408,000 = USD$250,000 just to buy it, inclusive of sales tax and a "certificate" which entitles one to drive it around for 10 years... :-P

This is renewable for another 10 years at the prevailing price, now around US$7000.

This doesn't include the annual road tax of SGD$7000 = USD$4,500.

And of course, gas is $2.00/lt. = USD$4.81 /gal. and it gets at best about 19mpg?

Comprehensive Insurance would be about $4K, I believe = US$2,500

So, running costs for the 1st year, assuming about 15K miles would set one back "only" about USD$10,000. or 4% of the car's value.

:-O

Regards, ws

Reply to
ws