Looked at the 07 S550.

Page 2 of 3

Could be interesting.
--
Best regards
Martin Kiefer
Look up the prices on the DC website and publish your table here....
DAS
Martin Kiefer wrote:

Well, looking at the current ('06) S500 here (SG), it costs SGD$408,000 = USD$250,000 just to buy it, inclusive of sales tax and a "certificate" which entitles one to drive it around for 10 years... :-P
This is renewable for another 10 years at the prevailing price, now around US$7000.
This doesn't include the annual road tax of SGD$7000 = USD$4,500.
And of course, gas is $2.00/lt. = USD$4.81 /gal. and it gets at best about 19mpg?
Comprehensive Insurance would be about $4K, I believe = US$2,500
So, running costs for the 1st year, assuming about 15K miles would set one back "only" about USD$10,000. or 4% of the car's value.
:-O
Regards, ws
--
change to leews to mail

I see you have a 'UK' number plate...
DAS
"Martin Kiefer" < snipped-for-privacy@kiefer.dk> wrote in message
news:44f49cfb$0$2085$ snipped-for-privacy@dtext02.news.tele.dk...
Do I understand this correctly, that if you buy a car that sells for 100,000 the taxes will be about 180,000 so the total you have to pay is 280,000???? If that is true, y'all need to move to South Carolina where the sales tax will be about 300 and licensing another 300 or so for a total tax of around 600. Note that I have not put dollar signs or euro signs or whatever on the prices because I want to understand the situation involved. In SC here I would pay about $100,000 for a nearly fully equiiped base model 2007 S550. Base price is about $83,500 and I have to add $1,000 gas guzzler tax plus $795 delivery charge. The gas guzzler tax is only for cars that drink too much gas - for example the Lexus LS430 does not have it. Options like Premium 1, night vision, active suspension, steering wheel, horn, and door handles increase the price over the base price, of course.
mcbrue shockedbyeurotaxly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river
96 S420
Yes. But only in certain countries and not only in Europe. You mean you did not know that some countries still impose penal taxes on cars?
In the UK the tax is 'only' 17.5%, in Germany about the same.
Will you guys now stop moaning about your taxes?
DAS
"mcbrue" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Almost. But remeber that you need to add 25% sales tax to the 100.000 before the 180% tax...
Lets take an example from the real world all prices in usd where 1 usd = 5,8 dkk:
A Mercedes C350 model (203.056 12): Price before any taxes: 47.240,- Price with 25% sales tax: 59.050,-
Then you get 1.942 deduction for some reason...
The standard price is then 56.135,-
Add the 180% tax (102785,-) you can the deduct 8.387,- for "green reasons"
The price for the C-350 ends at 153.448. Compare that to the starting price 47.240...
This is what the car costs in Denmark. And the prices are ofcourse without any extras!
--
Best regards
Martin Kiefer

Just to document the numbers: http://www.mercedes-benz.dk/personbiler/sedan/c-klasse/files/C-Klasse.pdf
Look at the column "Salgspris" for the price we have to pay in DK for a C-class. The numbers is in danish kroner (1 usd = 5,8 dkk)
Well since this tread was about the S-class: http://www.mercedes-benz.dk/personbiler/sedan/s-klasse/S-klasse_prisliste.pdf
:-)
--
Best regards
Martin Kiefer

I have to agree, that I am also shocked by the level of those taxes. Especially on a c class CDI car? What the hell?
I lived in New Hampshire for a short time and the license plates there bear the motto "Live free or Die" and they mean it.
Wow, 25% tax and then 180% on top of that? There would be some big 'ol troubles here if'n they tried that.
And you now see what a bargain the 07 S550 is at USD 90K...
DAS
"mcbrue" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
Wow! I don't see how anybody can live in a tax environment like that! Of course Ole Boy George Bush is driving the US that direction.
mcbrue taxedlessly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river
96 S420
mcbrue wrote:

It's not entirely fair to look at just one tax. Forbes has a nice comparison of the overall tax burdens in several countries:
http://www.forbes.com/global/2006/0522/032a.html
US scores 28%, Netherlands 40% and Denmark a horrible 50% (visual readings from the graph)

If they can't find you...
Ximinez

Well, you have to take a lot of things into considerations when you compare taxes from one country to another. Yes we pay nealy 50% tax. Buth then you do not have to pay for medical care at all, Education is free for everyone. Every student age 18 or more get 600$ per month for beeing in school (high school, college university etc..), The welfare system is considered one of the best in the world.
So we do get a lot of things for the money we pay in taxes. But ofcourse in order to pay 300.000USD for a MB S-class you have to make 600.000 USD first...
--
Best regards
Martin Kiefer
Martin Kiefer wrote:

Well, surely your country must by now be seeing the same signs as we are. A wonderful welfare system is very good at creating unmotivated unemployed people. The Netherlands have (or used to have) a great disability system. Anyone who cannot work anymore for medical reasons gets 70% of his last salary. Result: 1 million people who can't work for medical reasons (of 6.4 million total working people). Subsidize schooling and you get unmoivated students who just study because they don't have anything better to do anyway. Yes, the welfare state, tell me all about it. Count on the percentage to go up all by itself.

You don't get it. Your government decides how you spend your money, what's so great about that?
Ximinez
The Spanish Inquisition wrote:

They spend it on things you need.
.
greek_philosophizer wrote:

They take away your choice. Dutch medicine is not great, many waiting lists, bad service. We are all compulsory insured, the government decides what's covered. Thankfully we can now go to Belgium and get proper treatment, but people had to fight all the way to the European court for to get that right. Government knows best...!
Ximinez
And we go to France and Spain for 'proper' treatment...
DAS
"The Spanish Inquisition" < snipped-for-privacy@myown.mailcan.com> wrote in message
news:44ff0a7d$0$4523$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xsall.nl...
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Do they not also have national health systems?
.
Certainly, but they are viewed in many quarters as being superior (EU's best hospitals in Spain, e.g., something I personally find hard to believe, but I have not been in even one).
Still their financial deficits are probably not less impressive than ours. Wait for howls of protest as the French system gets trimed.
DAS

I think the dutch and the danish system look much alike. There has been a lot of improvements in the danish system regarden the right to choose the hospital you wish to get the treatment at. Maybe inspired from Holland?
Actuelly there are people in Denmark stating that duthmen and danes are more alike that swedes and danes...To be honestm, i do not know if this is right.
--
Best regards
Martin Kiefer