Looked at the 07 S550.

Buying price for a 2006 S500 in Holland: 130.200 EURO's = $166.551

Yearly road tax: 856 EURO's = $1095 Gasoline for 15000 miles @19 mpg (24000km/1:8) 4200 EURO's = $5373 Yearly insurance (10 year damage free driver): 2500 EURO = $3198

Yearly costs: 7556 EURO = $9666 Yearly maintenance: ??? Depreciation: ??? (huge)

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

"OM" skrev i en meddelelse news:2NqdnWzDd_fQ2WjZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@pcisys.net...

That is correct. But do also remeber the 25% sales tax that is added before the 180% tax...

You will see that all that can be added as after sales will be added after the car has been sold by the dealer. If you for example buy the Comand system. It will cost you 12.500 USD if you buy it from the factory. If you get it installed later it will pretty much cost the same as if you bought it any were else in the world. Just added the 25% tax.

I would no go that way either if I was living in Germany. But some do. My local dealer has just sold 1 CLS and 2 CLK going to Germany.

Reply to
Martin Kiefer

I see you have a 'UK' number plate...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Do I understand this correctly, that if you buy a car that sells for

100,000 the taxes will be about 180,000 so the total you have to pay is 280,000???? If that is true, y'all need to move to South Carolina where the sales tax will be about 300 and licensing another 300 or so for a total tax of around 600. Note that I have not put dollar signs or euro signs or whatever on the prices because I want to understand the situation involved. In SC here I would pay about $100,000 for a nearly fully equiiped base model 2007 S550. Base price is about $83,500 and I have to add $1,000 gas guzzler tax plus $795 delivery charge. The gas guzzler tax is only for cars that drink too much gas - for example the Lexus LS430 does not have it. Options like Premium 1, night vision, active suspension, steering wheel, horn, and door handles increase the price over the base price, of course.

mcbrue shockedbyeurotaxly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
mcbrue

Hi, I have a 2000 Mercedes S500, I had the same problem, change over to the much cheaper and I think better British Dunlop SP Sport 9000 tyres, they are an utterly superb match for the S class. They are much quieter and hold the road wonderfully on the 18" wheels from Mercedes. Cost me

130GBP a tyre instead of 200GBP for the others. The new S class is a dog, you are right to leave it well alone. The most comfortable seat I've ever tried was in the Mercedes CL600 or CL55 coupe, it has in my view far more padding than the S class (clearly the price difference buys a more padded seat and more leather everywhere.)

Have a try of a CL600 and see what I mean, the dealers are doing deals as production in Germany ended in March 2006. That V12 Bi-turbo engine is a dream and makes the V8 look a little jumpy, 500 horse power and yet smooth as silk, the car of kings.

Best,

mcbrue wrote:

Reply to
Hermes

Yes. But only in certain countries and not only in Europe. You mean you did not know that some countries still impose penal taxes on cars?

In the UK the tax is 'only' 17.5%, in Germany about the same.

Will you guys now stop moaning about your taxes?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

And how many doors does a CL have?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

"Dori A Schmetterling" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

:-)

Reply to
Martin Kiefer

"mcbrue" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Almost. But remeber that you need to add 25% sales tax to the 100.000 before the 180% tax...

Lets take an example from the real world all prices in usd where 1 usd = 5,8 dkk:

A Mercedes C350 model (203.056 12): Price before any taxes: 47.240,- Price with 25% sales tax: 59.050,-

Then you get 1.942 deduction for some reason...

The standard price is then 56.135,-

Add the 180% tax (102785,-) you can the deduct 8.387,- for "green reasons"

The price for the C-350 ends at 153.448. Compare that to the starting price

47.240...

This is what the car costs in Denmark. And the prices are ofcourse without any extras!

Reply to
Martin Kiefer

"Martin Kiefer" skrev i en meddelelse news:44f9b945$0$2088$ snipped-for-privacy@dtext02.news.tele.dk...

Just to document the numbers:

Look at the column "Salgspris" for the price we have to pay in DK for a C-class. The numbers is in danish kroner (1 usd = 5,8 dkk)

Well since this tread was about the S-class:

:-)

Reply to
Martin Kiefer

Yes, that looks nice... I don't see a "buy now" button on that web page though ;~)

Reply to
Martin Joseph

I have to agree, that I am also shocked by the level of those taxes. Especially on a c class CDI car? What the hell?

I lived in New Hampshire for a short time and the license plates there bear the motto "Live free or Die" and they mean it.

Wow, 25% tax and then 180% on top of that? There would be some big 'ol troubles here if'n they tried that.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

And you now see what a bargain the 07 S550 is at USD 90K...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Wow! I don't see how anybody can live in a tax environment like that! Of course Ole Boy George Bush is driving the US that direction.

mcbrue taxedlessly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
mcbrue

It's not entirely fair to look at just one tax. Forbes has a nice comparison of the overall tax burdens in several countries:

US scores 28%, Netherlands 40% and Denmark a horrible 50% (visual readings from the graph)

If they can't find you...

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

"The Spanish Inquisition" skrev i en meddelelse news:44fdb743$0$4519$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xsall.nl...

Well, you have to take a lot of things into considerations when you compare taxes from one country to another. Yes we pay nealy 50% tax. Buth then you do not have to pay for medical care at all, Education is free for everyone. Every student age 18 or more get 600$ per month for beeing in school (high school, college university etc..), The welfare system is considered one of the best in the world.

So we do get a lot of things for the money we pay in taxes. But ofcourse in order to pay 300.000USD for a MB S-class you have to make 600.000 USD first...

Reply to
Martin Kiefer

Well, surely your country must by now be seeing the same signs as we are. A wonderful welfare system is very good at creating unmotivated unemployed people. The Netherlands have (or used to have) a great disability system. Anyone who cannot work anymore for medical reasons gets 70% of his last salary. Result: 1 million people who can't work for medical reasons (of 6.4 million total working people). Subsidize schooling and you get unmoivated students who just study because they don't have anything better to do anyway. Yes, the welfare state, tell me all about it. Count on the percentage to go up all by itself.

You don't get it. Your government decides how you spend your money, what's so great about that?

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

They spend it on things you need.