Looking into buying my first Mercedes..

There is one problem though. I'm short on money. However, I've been looking around (in Australia, is where I am) and there are some that do meet my budget.
However, being that I know nothing about: a: Cars. 2: Mercedes-Benz cars iii: The price and reliability of the above; I thought I'd pop by, do my homework, and seek help and advice from all you wonderful people.
My current budget is that of $15000, though I'm hoping to spend around $12,000.. But I'll go over, if I need to.. There is a car that I really like (although haven't had the chance to go look at it yet). It's a 1987 300SE for $11990 Very nice looking car. There's also a 1988 300 SEL W126 for $14000. Most of them are around that year, and that price. There is also the 190 E series, however, I don't really know the difference between the two, what one has that the other doesn't. The 300 series seem more luxurious (with the wood grain interior and the leather seats)..
Please do advice as to what I should do.. If you could.. I'm hoping to going down and having a look at the car this weekend.. But I really want to knwo what to look for, and look out for..
There is also a 230 E W124 1988 (supposedly has 75000km, which is amazingly low for a car that year, and more than half of the other cars I've been looking at).. For $14,500. In any case, please do give me your $.2, and help me on my new voyage into the mercedes world..
Thanks for all your help..
One more question..
I've been looking around everywhere to see if I can find the differences between w124 and w126.. and so on and so forth.. But can't find it. I've seen a few pictures of the w124 and the back of them look (in my opinion) fantastic.. Is there a difference in body shape between the 300E w124 and w126?
Thanks for all the comments..
"eroyee" <.> wrote in message
[...]
Within the model ranges you are talking about, the 190 is known as the baby Benz. The SE is the biggest (oh, weren't things simple then?)
I used to have a W124 230E (1986 - 93). Lovely car, it was, too. Then I had a 190E 2 litre (acquired 1993), which I still have. Nice for the money.
DAS
Easiest place to look at the body is at edmunds.com... S class body is from 1981 to 1991.. and E class for W124 is up to 1995.... 190E is up to 1993..