Looking to buy 1999 SL320 - any tips?

Hi,

Im looking to buy a 1998-2000 SL320 or SL280. Has anyone got links to sites that can give me tips on buying such models? Or has anyone got tips fullstop on what to look out for? Is there a big difference in the reliability of the

320 vs 280? Any help would be appreciated.

Regards, Baggy

Reply to
Baggy

Look out for the following items

  1. Is the AC functional? If you have a leak at the evaporator it is mucho bucks to fix. Look for any evidence that it was possibly just charged just to get rid of the car.
  2. Check out the hard top release and soft top functions very carefully. Does everything work smoothly without a lot of banging and crashing? Look for any evidence of hydraulic leaks especially around the windshield top frame.
  3. Run the power windows all the way down, then up. Is everything nice and quiet and smooth. Most of the ones I have seen need new regulators.
  4. Depending on miles the motor mounts should probably be replaced. Also the rubber exhaust hangers.Flex disks in the driveline too.
5 .Try to stay away from the self leveling uspension system. Lots of bucks if you need repair.
  1. I am personally happy with the 320 engine. Good power and economy.
  2. Check the condition of the rotors and brakes. If the pads are down you will probably wind up replacing all four rotors also.
Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek