Loose Steering in 89 560SL -- Lots of Play -- How to fix?

Hello
I just bought a beautiful 89 560SL, white with burgundy interior. It's in great shape except for two problems.
First, there is a lot of play in the steering. I can probably move the
wheel about 3-4 inches back and forth without feeling the car change direction. When the engine's off, I can hear a bit of clicking from what I think must be the steering box when I move the wheel back and forth. As you would guess, this makes the car hard to control sometimes, and driving is not so fun this way. I'm wondering if I can fix this easily. Would I need a new steering box? Would it be expensive to do?
Second, there's an engine issue which I'm covering in another posting.
Thanks a lot for the help. By the way I have the manual if anyone needs any information from it.
SS
The most likely culprit is the steering coupler. Replaced mine and the wheel play is back to normal.
Inexpensive part, under $50 vs the expen$$$ive PS box.
Four possibilities:
1. Steering shaft coupler (just above steering box). Replace if worn. 2. Steering box itself. It can be adjusted in SMALL (1/4 turn ) increments, over time. 3. Loose idler arm due to worn bushings, replace bushings (kits are available) so arm doesn't lift when steering force is applied. 4. Tie rod ends may be worn and adding slack to the steering.
You should know that the spec is 3/4 to 7/8 inch of steering wheel play. These old recirculating ball boxes never were as tight a the new rack systems found in today's new cars. They are casual but the car still tracks fairly well; one needs to get used to them and trust the car.
Thanks everyone for your ideas. I really appreciate it. Now I know where to start.
SS