Lost key

I have lost the only key I have to my 1984 500SEL Grey Market.
Locksmiths want $200 to make a key because It is a sidewinder key. What exactly are my options here.
The locksmith tells me that I can get another key from the dealer for about $40 and they should get it overnight. I heard your screwed if you have a grey market car though.
Changing the lock cylinder seems impossible from what I have read on the group unless you can turn the key to the 1 position, which I cant do since I have no other keys. What would be my best shot here. Any help would be so greatly appreciated.Thanks
I have lost the only key I have to my 1984 500SEL Grey Market.
Locksmiths want $200 to make a key because It is a sidewinder key. What exactly are my options here.
The locksmith tells me that I can get another key from the dealer for about $40 and they should get it overnight. I heard your screwed if you have a grey market car though.
Changing the lock cylinder seems impossible from what I have read on the group unless you can turn the key to the 1 position, which I cant do since I have no other keys. What would be my best shot here. Any help would be so greatly appreciated.Thanks
master key available at mercedes dealer online $9.oo
Get the key from the dealer with your VIN number.... they can get the info from their european division.
If you want an entire new set of tumblers... I have a set for W126... I'll let it go for $350... includes new door handles for front... tumber for ignition... tumbler for glovebox... and trunk lock. MB factory lock with key code and lots of keys that came with the kit.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/general-mercedes-benz/1317073-replacing-original-master-key.html

Changing out all the locks is a possability, but you are in for a nasty and expensive job if you have no keys. You can inquire about availability of a key from the dealer, but if the locksmith is correct that grey market car key information is not available then it seems to me that the locksmith is your best bet.
As a locksmith, my opinion is that the price you were offered was very fair for the work involved.
I would also suggest that you always keep spare keys for this car. Sounds to me like your locksmith is a good one.
--
Roger Shoaf
He could have a locksmith pick the tumbler so it can be in position 1 to pop out the tumbler so a new one can be installled... would be cheaper than $200 to make a key.

pop
$200
As a locksmith for many years I would suggest the probability of picking the lock to be somewhere between slim and none.
Even if this could be done, you would still need to replace all of the lock cylinders and dispose of all of the current ones you had now.
I think the $200 option is the least he would get by on, unless perhaps he was able to tow the car to the locksmith's shop cheaper than having the locksmith drive to the car, but the price difference seems to me to be nominal at best.
--

Roger Shoaf

I ended up getting a key for $25 at the dealer, things are back to normal now, couldnt be happier.

Good. I was under the impression that a dealer key could not be obtained because it was a gray market car.
He actually got a duplicate from the dealer... and worked perfectly... cost probably $20.
Prices vary on the dealer ordered non-electronic replacement key. I ordered one and it came from Baltimore for $25, but I have heard others, for the same chassis, paying nearly double, depending on the dealership price.

cost