loud whining noice from fuel pump?

The other post got me thinking. Sometimes my fuel pump seems to be struggling and making a loud whining noise. But not all the time, just sometimes. Anyway when i fill my
gas tank at the end of the week and undo the filler cap there is a loud whoosh.
Is there some sort of breather hole, and i guess mine is blocked. where is it on a 1998 190E 2.0 manual benz.
suggestions welcome please.
thanks a.
a8359 wrote:

THATS A 1988 BENZ 190E 2.0l

That's normal and correct...

No it's not a blocked anything, but it could be a tired fuel pump I suppose...
As long as the car keeps running I would leave it alone.
Marty
Martin Joseph wrote:

yeah runs ok, just stalls sometimes at idle after i come to a sudden stop. or if i slow down for stop light. i take it changing fuel pump is a pain?
whineing fuel pump is a first sign of a partially blocked fuel filter.. ..and that would explain your other problems..
AJDalton7 wrote:

thanks will check,. god you guys are good :)
a.
I agree on with AJDalton.
The same thing happened to me (loud whining noise to start with) on another type of car (280ZX) that had the fuel filter placed after the fuel pump, not in front of it, like the Mercedes set-up. Rust and junk in the fuel tank got into a thimble sized pre-filter on the intake side of the fuel pump that was built into the fuel pump. Eventually I lost power and then the car very suddenly would barely run.
I cleaned the pre-filter and cleaned the gas tank out (lots of rust and the remains of the lining of the tank came out) and everything was fine for awhile. It happened again and I cleaned the pre-filter again and decided to put a filter in line on the intake of the fuel pump and I'm good to go again. Eventually I need to replace the fuel tank as the lining is shot.
Change your fuel filter and check for rust and junk in your fuel tank.