Low sulphur diesel

Hi,
I was told by a friend knowledgeable in diesel that low sulphur diesel is not good for some engine parts like the fuel pump, any truth to this?
Thanks,
cp

It's true that low sulfur diesel fuel is not as good a lubricant as the older high sulfur diesel fuel. I live in California and when we switched to low sulfur fuels, the California Air Resources Board actually paid diesel owners for repairs to their injection pumps and injectors caused by low sulfur fuels. But I would not worry too much because mercedes diesel injection pumps seldom fail even if you use low sulfur fuel. And...you can always use a fuel additive such as Red Line. However, the only time I had to replace injectors was after using Red Line additive. My injectors started leaking after using the additive. Although, I still don't know if there was a connection.
O rings also went to hell. my older ISUZUs started to leak at O ring seals. not alot but enough. were talking in the mid 80s.
case
the case, minus a few cans!

Thank you for your reply.
Any idea what's the difference between the new diesel fuels in North America and Europe?
cp
Re: Low sulphur diesel
Thank you for your reply. Any idea what's the difference between the new diesel fuels in North America and Europe? cp xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ours<fuel> is good but i hear that the reason why we cant get thediesels here is our EPA / air people are making it hard to get cars approved. NY & CALF are the worst
case
the case, minus a few cans!
M-B injection pumps are lubricated by engine oil so the fuel is irrelevant. The low sulfur fuel caused some old rubber fuel lines and "O" to leak and we were paid for those repairs.
The benefit is much less soot and a cleaner car. The back of my car usually had a black soot film but not since the low sulfur fuel was introduced. The sulfur is a non-topic now and life goes on.

How would I check for these leaks? As I'm not the original owner, if I get any problems, I have to fix them myself, right?

Yes, I get the Mohaw (Canada) DieselMax, not sure what's special about it but the seems to be more powerful (a little) and I don't notice any smoke, not that there was much to begin with.
cp

If you have a puddle under the car and/or an engine coated in wet diesel fuel then you can safely assume that the car has a fuel leak.
Huw

Not yet! :-)

Ultra low sulphur fuel lacked lubricity and caused o-rings to fail around accelerator input shafts on the pump. This has long been sorted with added lubricity. Not an issue these days.
Huw