Lug Bolt Vs. Nut

Anybody know why the Germans use bolts rather than studs and nuts to hold the wheels on?
On my w123 there are about 6 threads of engagement. On my GM car there about
13 threads of engagenent.
I know if you do the math that the 6 threads would provide enough strength but more seems better.
Has any of you had the female threads in the hub strip out?
Thanks

I never gave it much thought, but now that I am giving it a little it occurs that replacing a lost bolt is an easier proposition than replacing a broken stud off a wheel.
On 01 Sep 2009 04:36:17 GMT, Steve Harder-Kucera

That's the same as saying replacing a lost nut is an easier proposition than a broken bolt in a hole. It doesn't really address the differences at all!
Stripped thread in a hole = new wheel. Stripped thread off a stud new stud. You do the math. Similar amount of work to change.
Changing a flat when you have to lift the wheel and find the hole with a bolt is somewhat harder than lifting and placing a wheel on studs.

No, but I had all five bolts snap off (four while driving, the fifth at stand still). I still don't know whether I overtightened the bolts or forgot to tighten them, but I now always use a torque wrench. BTW, the bolts could not be drilled out and I had to replace the hub.
pej
--
Per Erik Jorde

Just an observation:
I had steel rims on my W123 and Alloy Rims on my W124. They use different length bolts. In fact, since my spare wheel has a steel rim, I have a set of shorter bolts just for the spare, which look just like the ones I used to have on my W123.
Are you using alloy rims? They will need longer bolts, and I believe I have more than 6 threads of engagement on mine. See difference here:
http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?N 68+11142+4294962627&Ntt=Lug%20Bolt
Cheers, WS
Commuter wrote:

The number of threads of engagement is determined by the thickness of the flange at the hub.