M class warranty extension from 50K to 100K

I have a friend that wants to extend the factory warranty on his M class from 50,000 to 100,000 miles.

The dealer quoted him $5000.

He could have gotten it for $1600 when he bought the car.

Is the price a fair one?

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

I'd say no. This will be a non-MBZ warranty, and I have yet to see an aftermarket warranty that was worth the paper it's written on. $5,000 will go a long way toward resolving any issues he may have over the next 50K miles. For the most part, once the "adjustment" problems are resolved on ML's, they seem to be quite reliable in the long run. By the way, what year is this? I can give you some things to look out for based on the model.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

resolved on

Thanks.

It is a 2002.

So even though the dealer quoted him an extension on his original warranty this is not really an extension but an entirely different contract?

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Mines a 2000 UK model.

-- Subaru WRX (The Bitch)

Series 3 Landrover 88" (Albert)

"Christ's fat c*ck"

Reply to
Nige

In the US, MBZ only offers their extended warranty to the original owner and it must be purchased before the first 12 months or 12K miles. The only other MBZ option is the CPO Extended Warranty (formerly Starmark), but this is only available when the vehicle is re-sold through an authorized dealer. I suppose there may be some way a dealer could circumvent the rules doing some paperwork to show where they bought the truck then sold it back as a CPO vehicle, but they aren't supposed to do this and could get in "big trouble" from MBZ if caught. Otherwise, the warranty is going to be some sort of 3rd party aftermarket agreement.

Many dealers have their own in-house warranties, and this may be the case with your friend's offer. I looked into the warranty that my dealer (Crown of Birmingham) was offering for about $4K. I would feel more comfortable going that way over dealing with some anonymous national warranty company that might go out of business or be a hassle to deal with. At least with the dealer's in-house warranty, you only have one party to deal with when resolving problems. In the end, I chose to "roll the dice" and not buy the warranty, mainly because it was fairly restrictive in what it covered. I only plan on driving it another year or two at the most, so if it starts giving me more than $4K in trouble, I'll just go ahead and trade.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill